Skip to main content

Kissing Asphalt

It has been 10 months and three days since my last triathlon. You would think that I would have been prepared well in advance of the San Diego International Triathlon this year considering all of the time I had to train. Life seems to have a way of sneaking up on you sometimes, and about two weeks ago I realized that I needed to start swimming again if I expected to survive 1000 meters in San Diego Bay.


14 days, and 5 swim practices. Not really the sort of preparation that it takes to win races, but it would have to do. This race was really just an opportunity to determine where I was at fitness wise anyway. It helps to go in with low expectations to avoid disappointment.

I figured I would be OK on the run, as I have been running somewhat consistently over the past month or so. My pace has been around a 6:15/mile for shorter efforts so I estimated that I could push out 6:45’s for the race if I felt good. Obviously the bike would not be an issue after all the cycling I have been doing in the off-season.

So there I was, treading water at 6:45 am waiting for the gun to go off. I was anxious to get going as the water was a bit chilly. “3-2-1-GO!” and the horn went off. I immediately got into a good rhythm. Not too fast, not too slow, but a pace I felt like I could manage for a while. I actually felt pretty good after the first 100 meters or so. I hit the gas on the turn, and kept it steady to the swim exit. 18:00. Better than I had expected!

I had a decent transition, although it was not my fastest. I didn’t really care too much though. I was not looking to break any records. The bike was my strength, and there would be plenty of time to go hard.

I hit the gas. I hit Canon street hill and held 18MPH for the climb. The fastest ascent of the hill I think I have ever held. I felt good though, and I was passing people like they were going backwards. I kept the throttle down and eventually hit the rollers on Cabrillo where my computer showed an average of 23 MPH before I even got to the lighthouse. That means I had to be pushing around 30 for the rollers. Crazy.

I sprinted up the hill at the light house and then feathered my brakes for the sharp 180 degree turn at the bottom of the hill. That’s where disaster struck.

The back wheel of my TT bike just slid out from under me coming out of the turn and I instantly knew that I was in trouble. Skipping once or twice on the asphalt, I eventually slid along the ground for 10-15 feet before coming to a stop. I could feel the asphalt scraping each layer of skin off my body like it was happening in slow motion.

Shit.

A volunteer ran over to me. “Is my bike OK?” is the first thing I said. I guess my priorities are a little out of whack.

Slowly picking my bloody self up, I didn’t think anything was broken except my ego. My rear derailleur was stuck in one gear, and I slowly rode myself off the course and back to transition.
My race was over. DNF.

Sometimes things don’t work out the way we plan. I guess I didn’t really have a plan for this race, but I can tell you that if I did, it didn’t involve crashing. Live and learn.

I fixed the bike yesterday while chasing pain killers down with mimosas. Hoping I can pick the training back up this week.

As for the San Diego International, I’ll see you next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge