Skip to main content

Eight Weeks to Ironman


8 Weeks to go : 7/28/13-8/4/13
TOTAL TIME CLOCKED: 14 Hours
SWIM: 5500 Meters
BIKE: 116 Miles
RUN: 38 Miles


“That’s it. I’m not doing Ironman,” were the words that came out of my mouth as I laid on the floor last Saturday after my five-hour brick workout. 8-weeks out, last week was a test in training stamina. A 37-mile run week, over 120 on the bike and 7500 meters of swimming pushed my body to the limit. With 15 hilly miles left on Saturday’s ride, the heat, exhaustion and solo effort were only overshadowed by the dread of the 6-mile run that I was going to have to do as soon as I got home.
This is Ironman training.
Saturday's ride profile

Training for Ironman Tahoe has been a test of organization and willpower. Juggling a demanding job, a toddler and training has not been easy. I remember the physical fatigue I had in 2009 training for my first Ironman, but this go around it is compounded by an even more demanding work schedule and the desire to spend time with my family in our new home here in Colorado.
I drank a couple of beers on Saturday as I felt my legs throb from the swelling. 2 Aleve and a good night’s sleep seemed to be all I needed to complete my 14 mile run on Sunday. I hit a combination of trails and multi-use paths to get the mileage in. My standard route around Table Mountain had plenty to look at and that great Colorado air to breathe in. Afterwards I was spent, but the run went well and I was 14 miles closer to my goal.
Last week was the first taste of how difficult the next 4 weeks were going to be leading up to my taper.
 ______________________________________________________
7 Weeks to go: 8/4/13 – 8/10/13
TOTAL TIME CLOCKED: 14 Hours
SWIM: 6500 Meters
BIKE: 145 Miles
RUN: 28 Miles
Sunrise at Boulder Reservoir
 
I seemed to bounce back from the hard weekend pretty well. I took Monday off to recover and regroup. Tuesday morning was my usual open water swim at Boulder Res. I decided to do three full loops of the 1000ish meter course. My pacing although slow felt good. I was able to swim each lap without stopping and my stroke is starting to feel more natural. I’m hitting each 1K in 21-22 minutes which should put my Ironman time at Tahoe between 1:20 and 1:30 which is exactly where I would like to be out of the water. Faster would be nice, but conserving as much energy as possible in the swim will be critical for me to survive the long day.
My program for the next several weeks is pretty much the same mid-week:
·         M: Rest or optional 4-mile easy run
·         T: 3000-4000 M ow swim  (early morning)  \ 20-25 mile ride (lunch time)
·         W: 6 mile tempo run (lunch time)
·         TR: 3500-4000M pool swim (early morning) \ 20 mile ride (lunch time)
·         F: 6-8 mile easy run (lunch time)
My weekends are where I put in the long hours and race specific training. I alternate my bike and run focus each week to allow me to focus on each sport and the endurance required for the race. This week was a bike-focused weekend.
Saturday I woke up early and rode out to Carter Lake, which is West of Loveland and East of Estes Park. It is a 55-mile ride to the lake store with a couple of fun little climbs to break things up. It is fast overall, which will be typical of the Tahoe course. I went easy, used my gears on each climb, and stuck to tempo the rest of the ride crouched in my aero bars. My goal for this ride was manage my energy and output to allow me to finish the ride strong and with enough energy for the run. I blazed through 105 miles in around 5 ½ hours, averaging 19ish MPH with over 5000 feet of climbing. As soon as I got home, I put on my running shoes and knocked off a 4-mile transition run. The cooler weather allowed me to keep up my cadence and keep a pace of around eight minute miles. I felt pretty good afterwards and was encouraged that my fitness is coming along.
Sunday was an easy out and back 10 mile run. I kept the run easy paced and my heart rate in zone 2 for the entire time. 10 miles seemed easy compared to the longer runs I have had for the past several weeks. Home in less than 90 minutes, my body almost wanted a little more. Good sign of things to come I guess!
______________________________________________________
6 Weeks to go: 8/11/13 – 8/18/13
TOTAL TIME CLOCKED: 13 Hours
SWIM: 6500 Meters
BIKE: 105 Miles
RUN: 34 Miles
I took Monday off as a rest day this week. My legs needed a break from the action. The weekly routine was the same this week.
·         M: Rest
·         T: 3000M open water swim at boulder res (6AM)  \ 20 mile ride (lunch time)
·         W: 6 mile tempo run (6AM)
·         TR: 3500M pool swim (5:30AM) \ 25 mile ride (lunch time)
·         F: 8.5 mile easy run on Table Mountain (lunch time)
All of my workouts went pretty well besides Wednesday’s run. For some reason my legs were super heavy and I could not find my groove. I blamed it on a harder than normal bike effort on Tuesday, but you just never know.
I have a huge calendar at home with all my workouts listed. Each day I finish, I put a big line through the day and move on to the next. It is about all I can focus on right now. One day at a time.

On Saturday, I woke up and headed out for a 60-mile 3-3.5 hour ride. I mapped my route out the night before, but about 10 miles into the route, there was a road closure due to an airshow. I had to take a major detour and I wound up completing an entirely different loop. It threw my pace off a bit, but I was able to see some new roads which was cool.
 

1/2 way point on Sunday's long run along Clear Creek
 
Sunday was the longest run I will see in training before the event. I started in Golden for the 18-mile run along clear creek. I picked that route due to the hilly start, which is very similar to my Ironman course. The route also has and a long slightly downhill out section and a slow climb back to Golden. I started slow to get into a cadence I could manage. I was carrying two bottles of nutrition for the run, which turned out to be about right. While the run out went smoothly, the last five miles of the run back were the test of mind and body. I managed to stay composed however, and the last few hills were manageable. I walked fast in a couple of sections to regroup, take in some fluid, and then pushed on. I finished the 18 miles in a little over 2.5 hours, which was about an 8:30/mile pace. If I can come close to a 9:30-10:00 mile pace at Tahoe, I will be stoked, but at Ironman all bets on pacing are off.
 ______________________________________________________ 
5 Weeks to go: 8/19/13 – 8/25/13
TOTAL TIME CLOCKED: 13 Hours
SWIM: 6500 Meters
BIKE: 170 Miles
RUN: 16 Miles
So excited this week! The USA Pro Challenge is in town and this was the third year in a row Julie and I were able to head up to the mountains to watch a couple of stages. It’s pretty cool to live in Colorado now and have the race in our back yard. Monday was another rest day for me and I spent the day at work getting things in order for the days I would be out of the office.
Tuesday I woke up at 5AM and headed up to Boulder res for three laps around the 1000-meter course. The water level at the reservoir is getting low since it is late summer and I actually grabbed sand a few times around the buoys. Regardless, I trudged ahead completing the three laps in just over an hour.
I drove home, showered, and Julie and I loaded Micah in the car to take him to meet grandma in Castle rock. She would take him for the next few days.
Bikes loaded and ready, we drove from there up to Steamboat.


Wednesday's ride through Oak Creek
Wednesday morning Julie and I rode a 45-mile loop through Oak Creek in Steamboat. I kept it in the small ring most of the time just spinning easy since it had been a while since Julie and I had ridden together and I didn’t want to drop her. The tactic worked great for a fun ride and it flushed my legs from the weekend of hard work.
Thursday Julie headed out for another ride while I hit a 6-mile run along the Yampa River. The scenery in Steamboat is incredible and if it was not so far from family, I could see living there. I ran easy along the off-street path and turned around after 3 miles for the run back.


Yampa River run

After watching the Pro stage take off from Steamboat, we made the trip back home. Micah would be waiting for us with our nanny as grandma drove him up in the morning for us.
Friday morning I woke up at 5AM and swam 3500 meters at the Splash outdoor pool in Golden. The Community Center in Golden was closed and this was the next best swimming option. There was a salamander swimming in my lane with me that led to some entertainment for the lifeguards as they fished him out of the pool. Ahh, the outdoor pools!
Due to my long ride scheduled on Saturday I didn’t have a run scheduled for Friday.
Loading up my nutrition on Friday night I got nervous. Saturday would put me in the saddle for sevenish hours and over 120 miles. It had been a long time since I have clocked that sort of distance. Today I decided that I would not be drinking any more alcohol until after the big race.
The ride started off at an easy pace when 15 miles in, my front derailleur came off the bike. The screw that attached it to the frame was loose and of course I had forgotten my multitool. Spinning in my small ring, I made it to a Home Depot in Superior and bought a set of wrenches to get me back on the road. 25 minutes later, I got all the repairs done and headed back out.
While the ride was long and hot, I was able to keep pushing. I had to climb out of saddle towards the end of the ride, but I felt decent enough to make it home. I drank some chocolate milk, and passed out on the floor. 123 solo miles at 19.3MPH average and 5500 feet of climbing is not ½ bad!
Sunday was an easy 10-mile run. I took on a few hills around the reservoir to keep it interesting. I tried to stay in zone two the entire time and keep moving. Success! One more week in the books. and all in time to watch Stage 7of the USA Pro Challenge Bike Race in Denver with my whole family!
 ______________________________________________________ 
4 Weeks to go: 8/26/13 – 9/1/13
TOTAL TIME CLOCKED: 15 Hours
SWIM: 7000 Meters
BIKE: 145 Miles
RUN: 35 Miles
Well the clock is ticking down! Not too much longer. I have felt a little flat this whole week. I took Monday off as a rest day and picked up early Tuesday with the typical routine. 6:00 AM for 3,000 meters at Boulder Reservoir. I was more tired than usual for this workout and the time seemed to drag by stroke-by-stroke. I took a 45-second break after lap one and then pushed through the final two laps. Good news is my times are getting a bit quicker. Not by much, but they are improving. I am expecting around a 1:25ish Ironman Swim time at this pace.
My lunchtime ride on Tuesday through Red Rocks left much to be desired. I was slow all around. I had no power in my legs and just slogged through the 20 miles. Guess the weekend really zapped me.
Wednesday’s run went a bit better. I came into work early to beat the heat and I ran a somewhat hilly six mile loop from the office. My legs felt good though and my heart rate is starting to adapt.
Thursday morning I was at the pool at 5:30 AM sharp. I had 4,000 meters on the docket and I needed to power it out. My splits were improving big time and I was pleased to notice I had a bit more energy in the tank from Tuesday.
My lunch ride on Thursday went better as well. Pushing pace for 20+ miles I averaged just over 21 miles/hour.
My appetite has been changing big time and I’ve been eating up to six full meals/day. My weight has stayed the same, but I feel lean. I am down to about 138 pounds and less than 10% body fat. It’s pretty cool.
Friday I ran early from my house and banged out 8 miles. I was blessed to see an amazing sunrise over Westwoods. I never get sick of this place!
Julie left on Friday to head to Nebraska with family for the weekend so I would be able to focus on my weekend training. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family, but at this point in the routine training is enough stress without trying to fit in a full day of family time on top of it. It would be my biggest dress rehearsal weekend for race day.
I spent Friday evening tuning up my Bike and setting it up exactly as it would be at my race. I would practice everything right down to my nutrition on Saturday’s 100-miler.
I rode out to Carter lake again taking a new route on the ride out. My legs felt great and I decided to let them power it out. When I hit the turn-around at 56 miles, my average pace was almost 21MPH. Making the turn back down to Boulder I was greeted with mid-day sun and a nice headwind. The road is slightly uphill all the way home, so with the headwind, by legs started to pop. At mile 90, I had to push up every little climb while standing. I realized that I pushed it a little too hard early on. Trying to focus mentally during these times is tough, but I do all I can to stay positive because I know on race day it will be critical.
I powered the rest of the way home. My average for 105 miles was 18.9MPH with over 5K feet of climbing.

I immediately got off the bike for my 4-mile transition run. It was super-hot out and my heart rate would not drop. I slowed down but it didn’t matter. I was on average about 10-15 BPM above where I should have been. I know my body does horrible in the heat. I still averaged an 8:45 pace with the short walking spurts.
I got home, drank a pint of chocolate milk and laid on the floor. Another 6 hours in the books.
I was dreading my Sunday 16-mile run. My legs were still heavy, but I drove to Golden to run Clear Creek again. Surprisingly enough I felt great the entire run. I focused on an easy pace, good turnover and low heart rate. Averaging an 8:40 total pace my heart rate barely climbed above 150 which is a sure sign that my body is peaking. I am amazed at the fitness that training brings.
I ate enough food to feed an elephant that afternoon and about ½ gallon of Ice Cream. Another week down. 3 weeks to race day.

 ______________________________________________________ 

3 Weeks to go: 9/2/13 – 9/8/13
TOTAL TIME CLOCKED: 12 Hours
SWIM: 5500 Meters
BIKE: 105 Miles
RUN: 30 Miles
I get to start the gradual taper this week, which is cool. My mid-week stays about the same, but my weekends will drop for the next two weeks before the race. Monday I took the day off to rest my legs. They were super sore from the weekend.
There are only two open water swims left at Boulder Res this season so I planned to go both Tuesday and Thursday. The sun is coming up later so the swims do not start until 6:20. This gives me a little more time to sleep in, but not as much swim time. I hit the water right at 6:20 and swam 3000 meters straight with no stopping. I felt great. I did start getting tired about ½ way through the third lap. I am confident I can power though all 3900 meters at Ironman now. That is a cool feeling and if you would have asked me in March how I felt, I would have had a different perspective.
I ran my normal 6-mile loop from the office at lunchtime. My legs were heavy, but I powered through just fine. I am getting there!

View outside Morrison on Wednesday's ride
Wednesdays forecast was a blazing 97 degrees, so I headed out for a lunch ride a bit early. I came into the office early in the morning as I knew I had a somewhat longer ride planned. I left the office around 10:45 AM for a 35-mile hilly ride in the foothills. As I eased into the ride, my legs felt good. I pushed pace in a few sections and let the lactic acid build up just enough to feel the hurt. With 3K feet of climbing over 30 miles, I averaged almost 18MPH for the ride.
I have not been sleeping well at night. Even though I have not been drinking the past two weeks, my sleep has been light and restless. Not sure what the deal is, but I need some good rest. Wednesday night was no different. After lackluster sleep I woke up at 5:00 AM and headed to Boulder Reservoir for the last open water swim of the year. I only swam two laps but held a steady 19 minutes/lap which was the best time I’ve clocked all year. My body is definitely peaking in fitness.

Post swim/run on Thursday
Immediately after my swim, I threw on my running shoes and ran an easy 4 miles out and back adjacent to the reservoir. Once again, even though my legs were heave from pushing pace on Tuesday’s ride, my cadence felt great and my heart rate stayed low. All good signs of fitness.

Friday morning I decided to skip my swim. Since I have not been sleeping well, I wanted to try and catch up a bit. The plan didn't go great, but I was able to stay in bed an extra hour which was nice. It was another hot one in Denver with highs expected to be close to 100 degrees. I couldn't run early due to some work meetings so I headed out at lunch time. I did the 7.5 mile run on South Table Mountain by my office out to the rock that overlooks Golden. Desipte the heat, the run went well. I took a second at the overlook before heading back to the office. The views never get old.
View for the South Table Moutain Overlook towards Golden
 
I was wiped-out Friday afternoon. Not being able to sleep the last several nights finally caught up to me. After work, I came home and slept for about an hour on the couch before Julie got home. I was just that fatigued. I was thankful the ride on Saturday was slated to ba about four hours instead of the five or six I have had over the past few weekends.
I woke up Saturday around 6:30 AM and slowly got my things together to head out for about 70 miles. I felt more rested than I did on Friday. I decided to hit the same loop I had done 8 weeks out. I also worked on pacing. I wanted to finish strong, so the first part of the ride I took it a little easier than typical on the hills. Steady tempo was the name of the game. The strategy worked and I hit Lefthand Canyon and Lee Hill Road without any issues. The ride back on Hwy 93 also went well and I finished feeling like I had gas in the tank. My average pace was a bit slower at 18.2 MPH, but I knew that I would be able to run off the bike if I pace it like that at Tahoe.
View at Lee Hill Road Summit
 
Sunday, Julie was going down to the Springs to walk the Race for the Cure with her mom and sister. Since they are both breast cancer survivors, Julie was super excited to support them and be here in Colorado to walk alongside them. I decided to cruise down last minute and just do my run in Colorado Springs. Since the altitude there is almost identical to Tahoe, it would be good to see where I was. I had a 12 mile run planned so I ran out along the Templeton Gap Trail and connected to the Pikes Peak Greenway Trail along Monument Creek. The trail is a rolling trail but even though my legs were heavy, I felt like I could have run even further. This marks my last big run before the race in two weeks.
Pikes Peak Greenway Trail

______________________________________________________
2 Weeks to go: 9/9/13 –9/15/13
TOTAL TIME CLOCKED: 6 Hours
SWIM: 5500 Meters
BIKE: 33 Miles
RUN: 14 Miles

I took Monday off as a rest day. The taper starts this week. I hate the taper period. Mentally it is hard to go from 15 hours a week of hard training to less than 10. While I still have workouts, they are much shorter. My volume is almost cut in half as I move into next week. Your brain starts playing tricks on you that you are getting out of shape quick. You feel fat, lazy and tired. You notice aches and pains that never showed up in peak training. My back, knees, and ankles are sore. I am tired, do not feel like eating and am borderline depressed.
I know it all sounds stupid, but it is a reality of the taper. I really feel like I am losing my fitness daily.
Tuesday I went to the pool at 5:30 AM for a 3500-meter swim. This would mark my last big swim before the race. The taper off from here is steep. It was raining when I left the house, which is not helping my depressed and bland mood.
The swim went well and I headed to work. Still raining. Rghh. I held off on my four-mile run to see if the rain would quit and finally about 1PM I sucked it up, threw on my shoes and knocked out an easy four. In the rain.
I had to take the afternoon off and work from home due to a doctor’s appointment Julie had. I stayed home and worked when I could but mostly entertained Micah and played. Once he went to bed, I was able to get more work done. There is a ton to do at the office before I leave in a week.
Wednesday morning it was still raining. I had a 20-mile ride on the calendar. I packed my bags but at the last minute, I left my bike at home. The rain was forecasted to last all-day so it would have been more risk than it was worth to ride. So I skipped the workout. This was the first workout I have missed in over 8 weeks which didn't help the blah mood.

Thursday it was still raining heavy. We were woken up by a flash flood alert in the middle of the night. Boulder got it the worst as flash flooding caused massive damage and three confirmed deaths. Close to our annual allotment of rain fell in the Denver area in less than 15 hours. It was crazy. There would be no bike riding or running Thursday.
I headed to the pool at 5:30 and jumped right in to knock out 2000 continuous meters. No problems whatsoever and I felt better at the end of the swim than at the beginning.

I got in the hot tub for a few and stretched out before braving the rain and heading to work.
Local Flooding

Friday it was raining in the morning, but things cleared up for a little bit mid-morning. I ran a somewhat hilly four miles from the office around 11:30. My legs felt heavy even though my volume is down. This is typical for the taper period as your muscle tissue repairs from the heavy volume. The run went well though, and I was looking forward to my short ride Saturday.

Saturday I woke up around 6:30, ate a Cliff Bar, and headed out for a 30-mile ride. The rain had stopped, so the roads looked dry. Saturday was the day I realized how extensive the flood damage was. Every single road I had mapped out for my ride was closed or detoured in some way. Parks were flooded, bridges washed out, and grasslands had become lakes. There were still roaring streams in places that never had streams. It was crazy.

I finished about 35 miles and cleaned up my bike. I did the full check and tune up before dropping it off in Golden to be transported up to Tahoe via Tribiketransport.com. My baby would be waiting for me at the Tahoe start line.

Sunday it was lightly raining, but I decided to head out on a short six-mile run anyway. About two miles into my run, the floodgates of heaven opened up and it started to downpour. I was completely soaked. I kept running in the rain and wind, jumping over water and through it. Not the smartest idea, but I made it home in one piece. I stripped down in the garage, Julie gave me a towel, and I took a deep breath. I would never do that sort of thing again. It was not worth the risk.

The biggest casualty of the weekend was my Garmin 305 training partner. After the rain, it refused to hold a charge or turn on. I feel like I lost a friend. I ordered a new Garmin on Amazon that would get here before the race, but I was sick about my 305.
 

 

Comments

  1. You rock my brother! This is really great reading your info and stats. Way to get it done. Praying for your achievement.
    Erik

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge