Skip to main content

Leading the blind and sucking wind


Hearing what sounded like a crashing tree I looked behind me to see him falling in what seemed like slow motion towards the ground. His trekking poles splayed out and he hit the ground, knuckles first, spraying fresh blood on the dirty trail.

“Crap man! Are you okay? Do you want me to grab the first aid kit,” I yelled out in genuine concern mixed with a little bit of shock.

“Ha! First aid? Shut up man and just keep running. I don’t need babied,” he hollered back with a joking tone.

We were only 8 miles in to a 50K run when he went down behind me. This was my first time guiding for Jason Romero, a legally blind and accomplished ultrarunner who I met a little over a year ago.

In 2017, I heard Jason give a keynote address at a regional Goodwill luncheon and fundraiser. He spoke about his degenerative eye disease diagnosis in his teens which eventually left him legally blind. Now in his 40’s, Jason has accomplished a host of ultrarunning feats including being the first and only blind person to run the 3,000+ mile journey across America in a mere 59 days. You can read more about his accomplishments on his website: http://www.relentlessromero.com/

After the Goodwill luncheon, I connected with Jason on-line and asked if he would be willing to meet for coffee. I realized I had run with Jason at Leadville a few times and I wanted to hear more about his journey. Through our conversations, we realized that we both share a love for ultrarunning and faith in Christ. His journey, like so many in the world is genuinely inspiring.

Jason asked if I would be willing to guide for him at the Cheyenne Mountain 50K, and I jumped at the chance to help. He told me that we would go out “have fun at a conversational easy pace” and just enjoy the course. I had never guided for him, but I thought about it like the role of being a pacer in a long race. Make sure he is moving, on-trail and having fun.

Jason handed me a florescent yellow “Guide” bib to wear and he snapped on his “Blind” bib. He wanted to line up right in front of the starting race corral.

“Are you sure you don’t want to start a little further back?” I asked, somewhat fearful we would be getting ran over out of the gate.

“Screw that! He said. Toe the line and let all these people pass us if they need to.”

“Right on.” I replied, liking his competitive attitude.

The race started at a blazing pace. Jason was hitting the gas in front of me and I was struggling to hang on. “Conversational pace my ass,” I thought. 

We hit the first uphill and he was hopping over rocks and feeling the trail out with his trekking poles. I was in the red and hoping that things would mellow out a bit as the day went on. It would suck to have to drop early because my athlete was too fast for me to even keep up!

After about a mile, Jason asked me to go in front of him. He started to coach me a bit as to what he needed.


Jason Rocking one of the few flat sections of the course
“Call out rocks, branches and roots. I can see your shoes, so I will follow them. Let me know where the bends in the trail are, when to be light on my feet and where the hazards are.”

And off we went. Crushing a 10-11 min/mile pace we made forward progress. “Stay right, root, rock, light feet, stay left, right bend, roller coaster bump!” I called out every trail rock, hazard and bend.

I’ve never been so keyed into a trail in my entire life. Those little rocks I take for granted or don’t think about became huge boulders waiting to crush us. The little roots pushing through the dirt became large octopus tentacles ready to reach out and grab us every step.

We made relentless progress or as Jason would say "Onward!". We played cat and mouse with several runners around us, but we were not getting passed that often. We settled in about mid-pack and found our new pace which was manageable. It probably helped that I was leading and could set the pace! Clocking off around an 11-min mile we were still moving swiftly.

Hitting the first big downhill, the trail opened a bit. The big rock hazards were a little less prominent, so we cruised a bit.

That’s where Jason had his first big crash.

Tripping on a small rock he fell over onto his knuckles and rolled to his left side.

I’m not totally sure what I felt at this point. I wanted to make sure he was okay as the blood dripped from his knee and fists. I also realized at this point that I needed to make sure I paid attention and called out even the insignificant looking hazards in the trail. I wondered if my mind had checked out for a minute causing the fall. Nevertheless, Jason got up and we continued.

'Put it behind us and keep moving,' I thought to myself.

We fell into a rhythm the rest of the first loop that made the hours click off like mere minutes. Several other people there knew Jason, and he would occasionally stop and hug them and offer words of encouragement. His attitude and resolve were admirable in the field.
View from the Course


Despite relatively consistent training, I found myself sucking wind and somewhat tapped on the uphills. While Jason was able to run most of them I was wondering if I'd be able to keep the pace that Jason wanted to keep. My stomach was going south and I pushed through the pain. 

Fortunately, the pain subsided and I was able to get back to work. “Rock, stay left, stairs” mixed with a few short stories between breaths. 
Jason holding a wicked pace on the uphill

By mile 24 I was feeling great! We were running all the uphills and making good progress.We seemed to be in sync despite a couple more falls and the pain that always comes towards the end of a race.

Crossing the finish line together, Jason and I hugged, and I thanked him for such a memorable experience. It was one of my favorite race memories. The joy that came in helping Jason keep competing at the sport he loves so much was reward enough. Crossing the finish line at another 50K was just the icing on the cake. 
At the finish


I am blessed to know so many inspirational people and athletes. The ‘why’ in what drives me has a lot to do with the stories of people like Jason. Keep moving forward, don’t play the victim, reach out for help in humility, get back up when you fall and finish strong.

ONWARD!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge