Skip to main content

Ahhhh Boulder......

Injuries suck. You never know how you are going to recover after a crash like I had one month ago. Especially when you have to start from ground zero to get ready for a ½ Ironman event. I was starting to build up a decent base going into the San Diego International. My run was coming along, and even my swim was showing promise. And then the crash….


Not that injuries and sickness should be used as an excuse for mediocre race performance, but in this case, it is exactly what prepped me for a mediocre race in Boulder. Missing almost three weeks of key workouts and run volume set me up for a subpar ½ marathon.

The swim started off OK. I was able to find a little room and get into a rhythm that made it OK. The refreshing Colorado reservoir water was a nice 71 degrees. About 200 yards into the swim, my body started to realize that there was a lack of oxygen going in due to the altitude. My every-third-stoke breath turned into an every-stroke routine and killed my momentum despite my best efforts. I started to sight each buoy and just break the swim into smaller sections. If I can just make it to the next buoy…. A painful and tiring 45 minutes later I exited the water. I had expected a 35-40 minute swim, but I was just happy to get out of the water.

The first transition went smooth, and I was out on the bike. I followed my coach’s advice and really dialed back the first ½ of the course. The altitude alone made it hard to generate the watts that I was used to, but the thin air made up for it in terms of speed. The course was really fast with just a few gradual climbs and rollers. I actually took it somewhat easy during the ride and looked around quite a bit at the amazing scenery. Having moved to San Diego from Boulder 10 years ago, I am still amazed at the beauty in Colorado. The scenery made the miles tick on by. I know I had quite a bit more in me when I finished the ride, but I was anticipating the difficult run ahead, and my lack of run base made me hold back (sorry coach). My average speed for the bike leg was 22.6MPH for a time of 2:28 and power output of 200W.

The second transition was a bit slower as I sprayed on some sunscreen and took in some water. Heading out on the unshaded dirt run course, I knew this would make or break the race.

I started out in a decent rhythm, running around an 8:20 pace. It actually felt easy at the time. I held this pace for a couple of miles before having to slow down a little for a big hill and refuel at the aid stations. This is where the routine began. Run 9:15 pace to the next station, walk the station, repeat. About mile 5, I began to get a cramp in my abdominals that would only go away if I walked for a second. I still don’t know if it was a nutrition problem or a pulled muscle, but either way it hurt. My pace between aid stations slowed to a 9:45 pace.

The second loop of the run, I was able to run a few miles with a guy from Colorado Springs that was helping me keep a decent pace. It was nice to pass the time as the temperature soared into the 90’s. The altitude made it really difficult to run as well, but I kept on pushing through to finish my ½ marathon in 2:13. Not at all stoked with the time, but looking back on my training, my run base was not where it needed to be due to my injury a month ago. I was fortunate to be able to run at all!

My total finish time was 5:32:48. Not a PR, but close to what I thought I’d get going in. I expect a lot from myself, but those expectations need to be grounded in training! I have no doubts that if I would not have crashed out of the International, my finish time would have been in the low 5 hour range.

The silver lining in all of this is the $5,000 I raised through this event for my mother’s battle with cancer. I gave her my medal at the finish line and we both wept in joy. It was pretty cool. In the end, it is all about the ability to live out life to the fullest. The clock does not matter.

Next up: Santa Barbara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge