Skip to main content

Race Across the Sky


“You are stronger than you think you are.” Said the old gentleman on stage in the gymnasium. His huge gold belt buckle reflected the dim light of the fluorescent lighting above. Standing in front of us was Ken Chlouber, the founder and 14 time finisher of the Leadville 100 Trail Race. “Don’t you dare quit! Hurt lasts a few days, the pain of quitting hurts forever”.
Close to 1,000 people packed the hot stuffy gym to hear the pre-race talk and last minute instructions for the race they call the “Race Across the Sky”. With 690 people registered for the 100 mile foot-race, the vibe in the room had an aura of excitement, nervousness, and just plain “what was I thinking?” expressionless faces.

I texted the athlete I was supposed to pace when I arrived. A total stranger several weeks ago, Kristina had signed up for this race as a 35th birthday present to herself. Not sure my idea of a perfect birthday present would be paying money to suffer for 100-miles at over 10,000 feet, but to each their own. I would do whatever it took to get her over 26 of the hardest miles on the return route.
She greeted me with a hug, and introduced me to her crew which included a driver, two other pacers, and a few friends that would be dedicated to helping her reach the finish line. The real work, however, would be up to her as she fought to keep her mind in a positive state of motivation.

I found out earlier in the day, that she also had a relationship with Christ. This totally made my day. Her text to me in the morning:
“The steps of a good man are ordered by The Lord, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for The Lord upholds him with His hand. Ps 37:23 :) He won’t guarantee we won’t stumble, but He be with us the whole way:) “

I was super stoked to know she came of a place of faith, and that our partnership in this event was orchestrated by a higher calling.
I gave her a bag of items to keep at the Twin Lakes aid station, and wished her luck. I would see her in a little more than 24 hours on the course.

I headed back to town with my friends to play tourist and eat some food. It was nice knowing that I wasn’t actually racing the following day. My mind was calm, and I knew what I had to do.
My buddy Seth and I ran a little more than four miles that afternoon to warm up the legs. The trails around Leadville are so full of history, as you run through the trees you pass the remains of homes that stood over a century ago. Once a town of 30,000 people, Leadville now has a mere 2,500 residents and is fueled by the likes of tourists like me.
We had a great dinner at a little pizza shop before heading back to the hotel to try and sleep. The shotgun would go off and the athletes would be starting their race at 4am.

Sunset after dinner
 Race Day
Winfield Aid Station
The Winfield aid station at mile 50 was nestled in the middle of a mountain valley that resembled the Swiss Alps. Not that I’ve ever been to the Swiss Alps, but I’m pretty sure that’s what they look like. Grassy valleys, rivers and 13,000+ feet peaks grew out of the ground in every direction. This little ghost town was once the home of 1,500 residents in the early 1880’s, but 3 years after its peak, the town was nearly deserted as the result of a mining bust. This particular day, Winfield was the home of a few hundred spectators, crew and pacers anxiously awaiting the arrival of their respective athletes. Due to the road closures, crew and pacers had to hike about a mile into the ghost town.

Motivation

Winfield Aid Station.
Photo Courtesy of Lauren Stechbart
We got there early, knowing we had to hike in. As soon as Kristina hit Twin Lakes (10.5 miles away from Winfield over Hope Pass), we made the drive down to Winfield. About an hour later we were sitting in the grass awaiting the estimated 4:15PM-ish arrival time of Kristina and our other buddy Dan.

We cheered on athletes as they made their way into the aid station. Some looked better than others, but the vast majority showed the pain on their faces that Hope Pass had inflicted over the last 10.5 miles. Well, I guess the 40 miles prior to Hope may have added to that pain as well, but the 4,000ft vertical ascent up Hope followed by a steep 2,500-foot descent was the beast that made or broke most leading up to this point.
4:15 came and went. Kristina and Dan were not down the mountain. At about 5:00, I got nervous that I may have missed her and I made my buddy Seth go check the board at the aid station to make sure her number was still up there. Since there was no cell service, the number board was the only way to tell who had come in and out of the aid station. Since the aid station cut-off was 6PM, I was getting nervous.
Seth came back to confirm that she was still out there and I was relieved that I didn’t miss her. I think I may have thrown up if that were the case.

At around 5:25 PM, I saw her orange shirt and black visor and ran over to meet her.
“I smell terrible,” were the first words out of her mouth.

“What can I take from you? We are okay on time, but we have to keep your planned pace in order to make the cutoffs” I replied.
“Here is my pack and my poles” she said, handing me the most God awful smelling hydration pack and trekking poles. “I am done with this pack, I’m going to burn it ceremoniously when I get home”

Good idea, I thought as the odor reminded me of old closed up hockey gear that had never been washed. There is nothing like the smell of old athletic equipment.
We made our way to the aid station where they weighed her. They weigh all the athletes at the turn-around to make sure they didn’t lose too much water and hydration. If an athlete is 20% down on body weight, they make them sit and hydrate until their weight is back up.

While she was in the tent, Thor from her crew and I filled her pack with fresh water, got her a couple of cups of hot Ramen, and made sure we were all set for my leg of the journey.
Kristina and I leaving Winfield.
Photo Courtesy of Lauren Stechbart
About 10-15 minutes later we cruised out of transition. I was carrying two hydration packs, trekking poles and trying not to think about the horrible smell.

We briskly walked down the dirt road towards the back side of Hope Pass. Our goal pace to hit our aid station cut-off at Twin lakes had to be 25:00/mile overall for this stage. Even though she was off on her goal times by an hour, I knew we had a good shot at making the cut-offs provided we kept her original goal pace. I was watching the clock pretty closely though as people always slow down over the second half of the race.
Crowded trail at the base of Hope Pass
For the first 2-3 miles the trail was somewhat easy. The beautiful single-track trail was somewhat crowded with runners in both directions, but we made steady progress. I tried to make some easy conversation and take Kristina’s mind off the mountain we were about to climb. It’s tough with a stranger at first. I was yapping about anything I could think of. Racing, my adoption story with Micah, hiking with my dad. Just about anything I could think of. I reassured her that as long as we kept moving we would make our cut-off. “One goal at a time. Let’s just get to the top of this thing first.” I said. Inside I was super nervous though as she had to stop several times just to catch her breath.

When we hit the base of the climb, I could tell that she was really hurting. I made sure she had some food and drank some water on steady intervals, but I watched our average pace drop on my Garmin. At one point we were above 30 min/mile and I made a few suggestions that we had to keep moving. This was a tough place for me to be. If I pushed her too hard up the mountain, she may blow up big time later, if I didn’t push hard enough, we wouldn’t make the cutoff.
The climb begins

Regardless, I pushed when I could. I broke things down into smaller pieces for her and motivated her to make it to the next landmark before resting again. Switchbacks and trees make good landmarks.

Climbing into the Sky
The whole time I was just awestruck by the views as we climbed. It was just amazing in every direction. I took photos with both Kristina’s phone and my phone as we climbed.

Happy to Summit!


What seemed like an eternity later we crested the pass and were rewarded by the most scenic sunset you could imagine. 360-degree views graced us with mountains and valleys. Twin Lakes was 4000-feet below us and we knew we had to keep going. The cold wind called for us to put on our jackets as we dropped down the backside of Hope.
The pass we just climbed
View of Twin Lakes
At this point I let Kristina lead. The downhill run we would take at her pace so she wouldn’t get upset with me for being too far in front. We stopped for a second at the Hope aid station, but continued down into the forest.

Just before we entered the trees, we saw a man collapse in front of us. Completely unresponsive, he had fainted into the grassy berm on the right side of the trail. We helped roll him over and he came to, not having any idea what was happening. I recognized the guy from the day before when he was telling me and Seth about his goal to go sub-25 hours at the race. Not today buddy.  

Running through the night
We pushed on and it got dark. We entered the forest with headlamps and flashlights and ran a decent clip down the mountain. I watched the average pace on my watch drop us back down to about 26 minutes overall and I did the math to see if we would make it to the cut-off of 9:45PM. It was going to be close, but I told Kristina that we would make it if we kept moving.
Finally, we made it down the mountain and into the valley below. We had another 1.5 miles to Twin Lakes and only about 25 minutes to get there. This section had two major river crossings and over eight pond crossings. Trudging through the ice cold water we made progress passing people when we could.

After the river crossings, we got to the flat marsh and were stuck behind a long group of walkers, I looked at my watch. We had 10 minutes to make it about ½ mile.
“Pass these guys Kristina,” I said charging forward scared we would miss the cut. She moved out around the group and walked about 4 feet before stumbling into a hole and falling over.  Crap.

She got up and swore (at me I’m sure). She  was not having any part of my apologies and shrugged my hand off her shoulder. Obviously, I did not mean for her to fall, but the anxiety of missing the cut was too much for me to think sanely. I just pushed on, feeling bad, but focused on the aid station. If we made the cut, she would forgive me.
We made it to Twin Lakes. Running into the aid station, I saw Julie, Seth and Lauren and started barking out orders in an effort to make the cut-off of 9:45 PM. We got some food, and couple of warmer clothing items. During the mania of it all, I actually slipped and said ‘if we make it to the hatchery’ as I was talking with Thor about the transfer in 16 miles.

If I could take back one thing all night it would be these words. It was my job to help her get there, and this doubt was not healthy. This slip, however, was a turning point for me mentally. I would drive harder and help her bank as much time as I could before Mile 76 and the hard Powerlines climb that comes after the Hatchery.
As we passed the exit to the aid station, my watch read 9:45. No runners behind us would finish the Leadville 100. Talk about cutting it close.

This was a wakeup call for both of us. I am not sure if was adrenaline or the can of Red Bull we slammed on the way out, but we started to really move. We averaged about 18 min miles up the steep climb out of twin lakes and I calculated the time we would need to make the next cutoff. Kristina asked me about pace. “Keep it here and we will be fine” I replied. I was not lying. I knew if we pushed 18/min miles uphill, we would be able to run faster on the downhill. An overall pace of 21 min/mile was all we needed to make the cutoff. Anything faster was bonus time. I kept the pressure on though. We moved briskly.
The night was pitch black with our headlamps casting 10-15 feet of light in front of us. Occasionally I’d see glimmers of headlamps up above us in the trees so I knew we had a ways to climb. I think this was a good thing though, as the lack of perspective made it easier to keep a brisk pace. If we were able to see the entire climb out, it may have made it tougher mentally. My legs were a bit sore at this point. I never let on that I was in pain, but I was getting fatigued. My training runs of 3ish hours were not quite enough to prepare me for this journey. I pressed on though, keeping conversation going.

Conversation was much easier now and we were chatting like old friends. I was still thinking of stories to tell. Poor girl. She was my captive audience and I didn’t leave out any details. She was a good sport though and didn’t seem to care. I could tell she was tired but she was moving pretty well.
There is something incredible about running at night. The dark trees towered overhead and the stars in the sky were so plentiful that you could see the Milky Way. The cool air was refreshing on the skin and we moved ahead. I felt like I was in a dream.

This state of movement was about the norm for the next several miles. I kept checking my watch, and by the time we hit the Half Moon aid station at mile 70, we had banked over 40 minutes. We had passed a ton of people. We got some warm soup at the aid station and charged on ahead.
The single-track trail opened up onto a wide jeep trail and we pressed forward. The opening in the forest allowed us to see more headlights. We passed fatigued runners, offered up some words of encouragement and kept moving. The air began to get cold and I could see my breath in front of me. We pounded another Red Bull to wake up a bit. Kristina was doing great, but she was getting cold. She had a jacket on, but I made her throw on an extra shirt that I had on my bag. I also gave her my gloves as she needed them more than I did. We had two hours to make it 6 miles, and I tried to keep us around 15 min/mile pace. I knew she would need the time over power lines.

We turned left across the field towards Fish Hatchery and we could see the lights of the aid station about two miles ahead. The field was littered with groundhog holes. Landmines for runners. I tripped in a few and tried to point them out for Kristina. A couple of times I pointed them out and then tripped into them anyway. It was just that bad out there. Flashlights were all we had to make the journey.
Kristina was shivering badly by the time we got to Fish Hatchery. She hit the restroom and I ran to get her some warm fluids and clothing. Julie, Seth and Lauren were at the aid station waiting but I couldn’t find Thor who was supposed to be her next pacer.

“Where’s Thor?” I desperately asked. Kristina was still in the bathroom. “We have not seen him” Julie and Lauren told me.
“Crap! Well if he is not here I have to keep going!” I responded.

Julie just looked at me with a blank expression on her face. “You’ve been out here 9 hours,” she said
“I have no choice! She needs a pacer!” I said in a panic.

I picked up my cell phone to call Thor. To my relief he picked up surprised we were already at the aid station. He was there waiting in the shadows, but we had made up so much time, he was not expecting us so soon.
Kristina and I at Fish Hatchery
We helped Kristina get some warmer clothes on, I loaded up Thor’s pack with Kristina’s stuff, gave him an emergency blanket in case he needed it, told him that they needed to do 15 minute miles to make the next 6:30 am cutoff. He took all the mental notes. I hugged Kristina. “I told you I’d get you here,” I said. “Good luck and I’ll see you at the finish”

I actually shed a tear watching them run off. This was the end of my journey. I had done my job. Over the last 16 miles, I had helped her bank over an hour of time ahead of the cutoffs.
I was shivering so badly at this point, I grabbed some soup, Julie gave me a jacket and I climbed in the car. I felt like I had just finished another Ironman.

I could not fall asleep when we got back to the hotel. I kept playing the entire thing back in my mind. The beauty of the scenery, barely making the Twin Lakes cut, the pure feat Kristina was accomplishing, and the anxiety of her making the next few cuts kept me awake.
At 6:30 AM I got the text from Thor letting me know she had hit May Queen. She had about three and a half hours left to run the last 13 miles of the race. I knew she would have to hold at least a 17 min/mile pace to make it.

We went to the finish line around 9am. Finishers were coming in one at a time. Thor had told me where to meet him on the street and that Kristina wanted us there when she ran to the finish line.
Kristina finishing the run
At 9:30 we saw her approaching up the hill. We joined in next to her as she ran to the banner. She had finished in 29 hours and 33 minutes with 27 minutes to spare.

Kristina and her pacers.

I was crying by now and Kristina gave me the best hug. She was sobbing as well. The accomplishment was amazing. She had just run 100 miles across the sky.
“We are all stronger than we think we are.”
----------------------------------
Thank you Kristina for letting me share in your journey. This memory will last a lifetime. If I ever decide to try my hand at Leadville, you will be my pacer for the same miles (hehe). I wish you well in your future journeys and accomplishments. May life bless you and may you bless others everywhere God leads. Hebrews 12:1-2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge