Skip to main content

Spring Training


Another month has gone by. My whole family came down with a nasty chest cold the week of March 21st that literally crushed my ability to workout and push through anything longer than about an hour. I skipped my long runs the weekend of the 26th/27th. We went on vacation the following weekend and all I mustered out on that trip was an 8 mile run in East County San Diego. It was a little concerning as the difference between my planned and executed miles looked like this:

March 21-27:
PLANNED: 44 Miles
EXECUTED: 4 Miles

March 28-April 3:
PLANNED: 36 Miles
EXECUTED: 22.1 Miles

I did take the time however, to rest and take the time off that my body needed to in order to recover. After getting back from San Diego I hopped right back into training, and I felt like a new person. The old nagging hamstring injury felt healed, my fitness was better than before, and I have literally felt great the past couple of weeks.

EXECUTED MILES:
April 4- April 10: 49.2 Miles
April 11-April 17: 53.9 Miles

I ran my first marathon in training last weekend and paid attention to heartrate and pacing. The idea was to go steady the entire time. While I felt a little cooked towards the last 4 miles, I held a consistent pace and an average HR of around 150 which was spot on to where I wanted to be.

I have held true to my theme of consistency and it is paying off. My first 50K of the year this weekend and we will see how it goes. My goal for that race is to finish strong. I want to get to a place where 30 miles feels somewhat easy. My strategy for Saturday is to fuel and hydrate well and try not to get hyped up in the mania of the crowd. That will be a challenge knowing how competitive I get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge