Skip to main content

Dirty 30 50K

This was my second crack at the infamous Dirty30 50K trail race in the mountains outside Golden, Colorado. I use the word ‘infamous’ due to the insane amount of vertical you see on this race course. Over 32 miles, your legs will take you over 7,300 feet of vertical climbing and another 7,300 feet of descending. It’s a calf-rocker, quad-rocker, lung-busting, how much do you have in you, type of race.

Homemade Tattoo of the Course
 Heading into the race, I questioned whether or not this particular race was the best choice heading towards Leadville in 10 weeks. The Leadville course is a different kind of challenging. You’re racing at a similar altitude as D30, but the continuous up and down is not the case in Leadville. It was a moot point second-guessing my decision to race this ultra, as I had paid the fee and I was going to go through the start-line regardless. 

Chris and I at the Start
 I lined up at the start with the 300ish athletes and took a few deep breaths. My friend Chris was there as well so we were able to joke around a bit to lighten the mood. The weather was perfect. There was a slight breeze and it was 50 degrees for the start. Quite a contrast to the 40 degree start in 2015! It was going to be a warm one.

The gun went off and we headed up the fire road towards the trailhead. I seeded mid-pack and let the hammerheads go. Still working on those slower starts! Once we hit the trail head, it was a long procession of power hiking uphill. We were essentially walking the first mile or so. The first 3 miles are mostly uphill, so I found my place in the group and just went steady. 

The long procession up the first hill from the start
 The first aid station at mile 5 came and went. I powered through that aid station and started the slog up the fire road towards aid 2. There were three major climbs in the next section. I power-hiked all of them every time my effort felt too labored. 

Cool volunteer
 There is a beautiful meadow on this part of the race that you run through where the whole continental divide mountain range appears in the distance. It was inspiring to look around and see the beauty gracing us on all sides.

Meadow
 I hit aid station 2 about 12 miles in and I was still feeling pretty good. The altitude was getting to me a bit and I felt like my heart rate was high for the level of effort I was putting out. All things considered though, my hamstring was doing okay and outside some breathing issues, I was set to take on the next section.

The section between aid 2 and 3 is one of the more difficult sections of the course. There is some steep vertical and rock scrambling involved. It’s so rocky that you can’t really run the downhills either to make up time. You must resolve yourself to push as steadily as you can through this section. I met a few friends along this section of the course and chatted a few miles away. When I hit the third aid station at mile 17.5, I was ready to refill my hydration pack and eat some more food. I downed a Red Bull and was on my way. 

Rock scramble
 The climb out of aid 3 is a bear. The best way to tackle the 1300 foot 3.5 mile climb is to get into a power-hike zone and just get through it. Don’t look too far up the road. I just put my head down and powered up. The trail isn’t super steep, in fact you could run it, but it goes on forever and there is no sense in burning matches.

I felt great power-hiking this race. I had a rhythm that was sustainable and I was able to cruise at 16-20 minutes uphill without killing myself. The race however was starting to get tough. I had passed mile 20 and things were starting to hurt. The heat was also starting to take its toll and I couldn’t take in enough water. I opened up a nutrition bar to try and take in some food and I couldn’t eat it and wound up throwing it away.

I cruised along steady, however, and made my way into the next aid station at mile 24. I stopped here a minute to take in some fluids and regain my composure for the next section. I knew the climb up Windy Peak would be brutal. 1600 vertical feet over 2.2 miles awaited me.

I started to run again. I made my way down into a little stream bed and made a left turn to start the Windy Peak ascent. You can see the peak way above you as you start to climb. One step at a time I slogged up the mountain. I had a couple of conversations with other athletes as I started to max out on effort. My goal time was already shot, so I just made the climb as I could, trying not to stop. I fell deep into the pain cave and since I still couldn’t get food down, my body wanted to just stop moving. At one point I was convinced I would have to walk the entire remaining 5 miles into the finish. 

Streambed
I forced out a couple of smiles to inbound athletes as I suffered to the top of Windy Peak. I stopped at the top for 30 seconds or so. Hot, sweaty and dizzy, I decided it was time to head back down the mountain.

The last several miles went by pretty easily. There was one major climb which I hiked up, but the rest was downhill to the finish. I got a second wind and was able to push the downhill. Rounding the corner, I was met with cheering fans and the finish line ahead. I sprinted all I could and crossed the finish line in 6:50:00.

Finish!
------------
Race Nutrition: 2200 Calories

  • 500 calories pre-race (2 cliff bars)
  •  100 oz Infinit (1100 calories)
  •  1 Bonk Breaker (250 Calories)
  • 1 Gel (100 Calories)
  •  1 Can Red Bull (120 Calories)


Lessons learned:

  •  I need to work on getting calories in even when I don’t want them. Start experimenting with gels and other nutrition in case I can’t eat solids at Leadville.
  •  Keep trying to start slow, and potentially slower
  • Power hiking works well, but don’t push the uphill too hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge