Skip to main content

The Big Buckle Pain Cave- 2019 LT100


“I’m not having any fun out here” I cried tearfully with my head hung low and covered up with a towel. As Julie and my crew stood over me, I was emotionally spent from racing toward the front of the Leadville pack for the past 10 hours. “I’ve been alone on the trail all day. I haven’t looked around at the scenery. I’m working my ass off out here and it all hurts. I’m miserable,” I whimpered through my tears.

“We get it Tim. You’re doing amazing. This is the first time you have raced a 100-miler at this pace. It’s a different game, but the good news is that now you have pacers to cheer you up and get you back home,” Julie consoled me with a hand on my shoulder.

This was Winfield. The dusty ghost town nestled in a valley surrounded by mountain peaks that also marked the ½ way point of the iconic Leadville 100 Trail Run. I had ran up and over the 12,600 foot summit of Hope Pass and I would have to do it all over again if I wanted to see the finish line.
----------------------

2019 has been a year of redemption for me. I battled a hamstring and hip injury all of 2018. In 2016 at Leadville, I failed to reach my 25-hour ‘big-buckle’ goal by 33 minutes.

Pre-Race Brief with the Crew
“This is my year.” I told my crew at our race briefing the Friday before the race. “Tomorrow is going to be a good day. I have nothing to lose. I already have a finisher buckle so I’m prepared to go deep into the pain cave to get the big buckle. I just need your help to keep me moving and eating.”

Reflecting back on those words as I approached Winfield 10 hours into the race, I felt the reality of what it was actually going to take. The pain that my body would experience by the extra effort was a lot. I hit the half-way point, sat in a chair and began to cry.

Prior to Race Start
10 hours and 15 minutes earlier, a shotgun blast rattled the windows of 100-year-old buildings in town signifying the start of the race. The temperature was mild in the low 40’s and I lined up near the front of the field with my friends Katilyn and Brandon to ensure I didn’t get stuck in a slow group once we hit the single-trek around Turquoise Lake. The shotgun was still smoking and we were off in a hurry through the brisk morning air.

We hit the dirt road heading towards the lake. The full moon illuminated the forest around us as headlamps bounced up and down like bobbers in a pond. We blasted down the road at a fast 8 minute/mile pace.

“We are going out too hard.” I commented to Kaitlyn noticing the vapor rising from my breath into the headlamp glow in front of me.

“Yep,” she replied “we will slow it down once we get to the single track.”

“We better,” I replied “or its going to be a sufferfest.

After a short but steep climb up the scree field they call “mini-powerlines”, we found our way to the single-track that would take us another 7 miles around Turquoise lake.

Kaitlyn and I backed off a little on the pace a bit to stay on the lookout for roots and rock that seemed to jump up out of the trail on all sides of us. Looking back across the lake you could see a stream of headlamps forming an illuminated line of traffic. I was happy to be out in front of them this year – running. The moon was glowing off the water to our left in a glorious shimmer that left us breathless.

With about 4 miles to go into Maqueen (the first aid station at mile 12.5) I somehow found myself all alone on the trail. Kaitlyn had pulled off to fix her headlamp. The runners in front of me were no longer visible and the runners behind me were at least 50 yards back. I took in the solitude and let my breath guide the way.

Running through Mayqueen, I was right on goal time at 2 hours. I grabbed some more fluids and kept moving towards the Sugarloaf climb. The sun was starting to illuminate the sky. Once I climbed up the short 2-mile Colorado Trail section and onto the dirt road, I was able to shut off my headlamp. “Now it’s time to get to work” I told myself and started grinding up Sugarloaf in a quick-stepping jog.

Before I knew it, I was hammering down the other side of the mountain on the steep Powerlines side. You could see the valley and mountains in the distance with the morning fog quickly burning off. I tried to take it somewhat easy to avoid blowing out my quads but they were yelling at me anyway. The Altra Professional Joshua Stevens was directly in front of me for a while and I let him drive the line down. I figured it would be one of the few times anywhere near a pro in a race!



Exiting the Powerlines Descent


We spilled out onto the asphalt road leading to Outward Bound and I could tell just how worked my legs were from the past 20 miles of effort. I found myself mentally focusing on landmarks along the road to keep from walking on the way to the aid station. Most of the time it worked, although I was power hiking the steeper road sections on the way there. I could see the aid station in the distance and just told myself not to walk.

About four hours into the race I hit Outward Bound and saw Julie and Hillary there. We refilled my nutrition. My quads were pretty worked from coming down Powerline and I was tired, but still moving well. Julie and Hillary refilled my nutrition, gave me some words of encouragement and sent me on my way out into the wide open field leading to Treeline.

I was by myself the majority of the next 16 miles on the way to Twin Lakes. I turned on some tunes to help me zone out a bit. Just like in training, I ran the majority of what I could and minimized any walking through this section. I was really starting to fatigue.

Passing mile 30, The little devil on my shoulder whispered in my ear, “you can’t run 70 more miles. It’s just too hard. You burned all your matches.” Feeling a little deflated, I began to talk to myself out loud, “you’re doing great Tim. This is your day” over and over. If others would have been around me, they would have thought I was a little crazy, but I said it over and over and kept raising my voice. “YOU'RE DOING GREAT TIM. THIS IS YOUR DAY!”

Running through the vegetated forest, this is one of the prettiest sections of trail in the race. Despite the slight uphill most of the section, it is mostly runnable and there are numerous streams to cross and lush landscape.
The Colorado Trail section leading to Twin Lakes

Eventually, I popped out at Twin Lakes. I was so excited to see the crowd of people there and hear the cheers. I saw a ton of people there I knew, and they were all cheering me on. Friends guided me to my crew that was set up at the Berkeley Park tent where I sat down for a few. Taking stock of things, I was pretty spent, but I forced down a full PB&J sandwich and drank a coke. It was wonderful to see everyone there. Grabbing my poles, I said, “See you in 12 miles” and headed out towards Hope Pass.
Entering Twin La

I was a little worried that this year’s course was 2 miles longer than when I did it in 2016 and I kept checking my watch trying to do the math on where I was at goal wise, but I couldn’t process much of anything. I decided just to focus on getting to Winfield.

The river crossings and valley floor out of Twin Lakes were my favorite sections of the course. It was absolutely beautiful and the mountains jutted out of the valley like monoliths. “God’s Country” by Blake Shelton came on my playlist and for a minute I thought I was in Heaven.
The Valley Floor

The euphoria was short-lived however and I found myself deep in the pain cave on Hope Pass. My only goal was to keep moving. Leaving 9,100 feet to do a 3,500 foot climb in 4 miles is no joke. About all you can do is put your head down and go. Still alone on the trail, I just kept moving up the mountain.

By the time I got near the top at Hopeless Aid Station (Mile 45) I must have looked awful as the medical director came flying over to me asking if I needed salt. I assured him I’d be fine, but I took some salt and drank some coke to make him happy.

Cruising over the summit, I didn’t even stop for a photo. I kept moving towards the valley floor. The lead runner had just passed me on his way back and I wanted to keep going. The backside of Hope Pass stretches on for a while and the trick is to run when you can and power hike the rest. There is almost another 1,000 feet of climbing after the steep descent before you reach the turnaround. I could smell Winfield in the valley below and wanted to get there.

Finally, I rounded the corner, crossed the ½ way mat and immediately had my first meltdown in the race. I was grateful for the empathy my crew showed me as they allowed me to cry a bit and let it out. After I was done feeling sorry for myself, my crew got me out of the chair and Oliver began his hard job of pacing me back towards home.
Trying to regroup at Winfield
Oliver walking me out of Winfield

Heading back out to tackle Hope wasn’t on my pleasure list of things to do at that moment, and Oliver didn’t mess around. He was already forcing gels and nutrition down me on regular intervals. I argued relentlessly that I didn’t want any of it, but it didn’t matter. He made me eat anyway.

We started the climb up the back side of Hope Pass and I wanted to vomit. I don’t ever remember this climb being so hard. Covering 2,500 vertical feet in just over 2-miles, the back side of Hope is a soul crusher. Oliver would encourage me to take in a view every now and then but I was cursing under my breath, and just kept moving the best I could. Even though the views on Hope rival the most scenic landscape you can imagine, I had no interest in anything but summiting.
Suffering up the impossibly steep climb up Hope.

Heading up the pass, I was beginning to see some of my other friends coming towards me just making their way down the mountain towards Winfield. I wished them well and smiled the best I could.

Finally making it to the summit, we paused for a moment to take things in. It was 4:20 in the afternoon and I made a joke about getting high. The lady manning the aid station said, “we can take care of that if you want!” I just laughed and told her that I wanted to finish the race and not fall asleep.
4:20 on the Summit of Hope

Oliver and I got some potatoes and ramen at Hopeless and began the quad crushing descent to Twin Lakes. We ran at a good clip and made some good time heading down. I actually felt pretty good through this section and tried my best to keep taking in nutrition.
Oliver and Laura as I ran back into Twin Lakes

Before we knew it, we were back in Twin Lakes. With the same electric energy in town, I made a full clothing change in Twin including changing out of my wet shoes and socks. In the valley floor there were over 8 water crossings that we had to go through, several of which were up to my quads. The crew in Twin Lakes was in good spirits. We were making great time, but for some reason, my brain still couldn’t do any math and I thought we were cutting it close to make the 25 hour goal.
Julie helping me change at Twin Lakes

Oliver and I left Twin Lakes and began the climb up to the Colorado Trail. I was beyond fatigued on the climb and started dry heaving every time I had a sip of my liquid nutrition. By the time we made it to the top of the trail, I remember leaning against a tree and swearing to Oliver telling him I didn’t think I could make it. I was spent. He gave me a bit of tough love and told me he understood, but that we would get this done.
Just trying to hold it together out of Twin Lakes

The next several miles for me were the toughest of the race. I was unable to throw up, but I was dry heaving frequently and wanted nothing more than to puke. Everything hurt and my energy was in the toilet. Oliver poured out my tailwind nutrition and gave me a bottle of water with a GU electrolyte tablet in it. The fizzy drink seemed to bounce me back and we started clocking off 10-11 minute miles on the way to Halfmoon. Feeling a little more energized, we moved well to Outward Bound just as it was starting to get dark. We hiked when we had to and ran the rest.

Moving across the dark field on the way to Outward Bound, it seemed like the aid station was 100 miles away. Seeing the bright lights and hearing the cheers of people across the field, yet never seeming to get closer plays tricks on you. With relentless forward motion, we finally found ourselves  under the timing banner and looking for our crew.

Sitting down in a chair Oliver’s pacing job was done and he was passing me on to Hillary. I wouldn’t be surprised if he also breathed a sigh of relief since he didn’t have to deal with me acting like a 10 year old anymore.

I was sick of any sugar at this point and was having a difficult time with any uphill running. I was still fatigued and worried about making my goal time of sub 25 hours. I just felt like I was slowing down big time despite being back in Outward Bound just after 9PM.

It wasn’t all that cold yet at Outward Bound. I can’t remember what extra clothing I took at that aid station, but it wasn’t much. I tried to get some potatoes down and I drank some coffee before heading out into the dark again.

Standing up out of my chair I felt like fire was lit inside every muscle fiber of my legs. Things were beginning to scream at me to quit. As the train started moving down the dark road towards the infamous ‘Power Lines’ climb, Hillary coached me through each move.

I have gotten a little better over the years at taking orders from my pacers and just doing whatever they tell me to do. Hillary was doing a great job of making things manageable. She would give me a heads up and tell me we were going to run to the next tree, and we would. I would run until I couldn’t run and then we would hike. I remember dropping a lot of swear words during this section as I was frustrated that my body was not moving like I wanted it to.

We made it to the relentless Powerlines climb. It was dark at this point and our headlamps lit the path directly in front of us while the buzz of overhead powerlines filled the night air. Hillary told me to look back at one point and you could see the entire valley and town of Leadville lit up in the distance. I only had 20 miles left to get this thing done.

Since I was dry-heaving every time I had sugar, Hillary was giving me various foods to get me to eat. Eventually, she ripped off small corners of a Bobo’s Oat Bar (at least that’s what I think it was). I’d put the dry cookie in my mouth and let it dissolve.  

While the climb rises over 2500 feet in 4 miles, we took things step by step. I felt like Hillary and I were in sync and she offered me the perfect amount of empathy and encouragement mixed with tough love to keep me moving. I’d run for ¼ mile and then walk. “Great effort Tim” she’d say.

Nearing the top of the mountain, the ram’s horn of the rogue Space Camp Aid Station bellowed in the silence. Things up there were not as crazy as I have seen in year’s past, but the party animals were raging, nevertheless.

“Do you need anything?” one girl asked.

“Do you have CBD cream?,” I asked, “My quads are killing me.”

Before I knew it, I was sitting in a chair by the fire at Space Camp, both short legs pulled way up and Hillary rubbing one quad with CBD cream and another girl rubbing my other quad down.

“Have I died and gone to heaven?” I wondered.

The pleasantries only lasted a couple of minutes before some drunk guy came over and told me to get moving. He was probably jealous his girlfriend was rubbing me down.

We were back out on the trail. The road began to descend quickly, and we ran all we could. Hillary was encouraging me and pushing me to do all I could to go quick.

The dark and rocky Colorado Trail section seemed to take forever. Landmine after landmine sending stabbing pain into my quads. “One step at a time,” I’d tell myself.

We eventually popped out of the dark and headed down towards Mayqueen. My brain was finally starting to work and I did the math on what it would take to finish in less than 25 hours.

“Oh my God Hillary! I’m going to do this! I have 4.5 hours to make it to Leadville from Mayqueen!!”

“I know Tim, we’ve all been telling you all day how good your doing, but you didn’t believe us.” She said in a ‘yeah duh!’ kind-of way.

We jogged into Mayqueen and Laura was waiting to take over pacing duties. It was 12:30AM. Typically, 3-3.5 hours is about what it takes to make it to Leadville from Mayqueen and that requires quite a bit of jogging and fast hike.

“Just get me into Leadville before 5AM,” I said

“Don’t you worry,” Laura replied in her bouncy kind of way.
Leaving Mayqueen

A cup of coffee and a warmer jacket later, we were on our way to Leadville. Laura and I jogged where we could, and she pushed the moving pace ahead of me to make sure we were not going to be against the wire. We settled into a 15-16 minute/mile moving pace. Laura wanted me to run at points, but I was not interested in any more pain. All I had to do to meet my goal was to keep moving at this pace and we would get it done. I told her that power hiking was my reward for pushing so hard early on.

Laura and I kept moving steady. The moon rose and lit up the lake to our right. Way out in the distance on the hillside, we could see the tiny headlamps bounce like stars up as runners made their way down Sugarloaf.

We caught up to my buddy Jordan and his brother Justin and chatted the night away up the Boulevard. They were moving at a similar pace and were both from Colorado Springs as well. It was great to have some conversation!

Rounding the corner at the top of the dusty Boulevard, it was just before 4AM. I almost started crying as I saw the Leadville High School flag blowing in in the wind. We had one mile left to go.
“We are doing this!!!” I screamed in the night.

Cresting the top of the hill on 6th, Julie, Oliver, Raji, and Hillary were waiting for me. They joined me in hiking the last ¼ mile as we made it towards the finish. About 200 feet before the finish, I found one last push to try and run across the line. I got my legs to turn over and started a comically slow jog towards the finish line banner with my entire team cheering me on.

I had the finish line all to myself at 4:06 in the morning. I crossed the line with tears streaming down my face. I bowed and gave thanks to the Lord for carrying me through and hugged Merilee as she hung a medal around my neck.

Merilee Hanging the Medal on my Neck


Julie and I at the Finish.

My amazing team

I had done it. Leadville finish #2. 24:06. Big Buckle and close to a 90 minute 100-Mile PR.

I feel incredibly blessed to have had such an amazing team this year to help me get this done. It has been a difficult year for me personally and professionally, but to have this one moment to celebrate success has shown me a ton. Through adversity comes some of the most amazing moments that define our lives. I will never shy away from what is difficult in life. Push through, lean on your friends and have faith that it is the journey that ultimately leads to freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge