Skip to main content

Finishing Leadman and the 2022 Leadville 100 Run

There is a short steep climb at mile 5 of the Leadville 100 that seemed to audibly laugh at me and assert the truth that an extremely difficult 27 hours was ahead of me. My quads were heavier than barbells at the bottom of the ocean. My breathing felt like each breath was moving through a straw. And worst of all, a crack in the strong armor of my mind rapidly grew from a hairline fracture to what would eventually grow to be the Grand Canyon.

--------------------------

This has been an epic summer in Leadville. Signing up for the Lead Challenge or ‘Leadman’ series was something that I have thought about since my first Leadville 100 finish in 2016. Completing the Marathon, the 50-Mile run, the 105 Mile MTB, the 10K and the 100 Mile run over the course of 10 weeks was a bit daunting, but something I was excited for. The challenge of balancing both mountain biking and running ultra-distances would prove to be difficult both in terms of time and training.

Having made it through the 105 mile mountain bike the weekend before minimal incidents was all I could have hoped for. While my legs were spent, I still managed to run the 10K the next day in a speedy 50 minutes. It was a little bit of false hope that I would potentially have the best day ever at the 100 run the next weekend.

Finish and buckle at the LT100 MTB


I rested and stayed off my feet the week after the bike and leading into the run. My left hip was acting up which has been problematic since the Tahoe 100 back in 2018. I did my best to rest and stretch lightly as the hip would throb a bit as I laid around. The 105-mile bike stressed those hip flexors and my quads, but I remained super positive that I could still have an amazing day on the run.

--------------------------

The day before the 100-Run, I had a peace about it. I had been here before. I was well trained. I knew the course with my eyes closed. Running long distances is just what I do.

Check in at the LT100 Run on Friday

I set my alarm for 2:30 AM on Saturday and did my best to groggily get dressed and ready to face the brisk morning air at 6th and Harrison in Historic Downtown Leadville.

Julie drove to the start and walked down the starting corral with me. 

My partner in crime at the race start

“You’re going to do great,” she said “Running 100's is what you do!”

We kissed and Julie made her way to the sidelines to join the hundreds of other spectators waiting for the early start.

The waiting is the hardest part!


I lined up near the front of the field. It was cold out, but not quite as cold as I had expected it to be. I had on arm warmers and my Cotopaxi pull-over windbreaker and felt comfortable.

BOOM!

The gun went off and 700 headlamps illuminated the night sky in a bobbing sea of white as we made our way west down 6th.  I knew I wanted to push pace a bit heading out towards Turquoise Lake to avoid the conga line that plagues slower runners on the single-track trail around the lake. I was running a steady, but somewhat hard, pace down the dirt road before making my way down the asphalt toward the Lake. I was a bit winded but knew I’d back it off once I got to the lake.

We turned right up the steep hill at mile five that they call ‘little powerlines’, a 35-40% grade uphill section that lasts ¼ mile or so. My quads screamed at me in revolt. I could instantly feel the miles from the 105-mile bike 6-days prior in my legs. My lungs cried out in pain and I slowed to a more manageable effort. Unfortunately, the blast of reality shut down my positive mindset like a light switch.

It's too early to feel cooked...

I crested the small hill and headed out onto the single track around the lake. We all had plenty of room to move and run which was nice. I backed way off pace at this point and let runners go around me as needed. The night was still dark and the water to our left glistened as our headlamps passed by. I turned and looked behind me to see a string of lights along the trail that travelled for miles. My breath puffed in clouds of vapor in front of me.

My negative thoughts continued as I was struggling to move my heavy legs down the trail. My right ankle was super sore for some reason, and as I stepped on the ground it shot needles of pain through my foot.

How can things be falling apart this early? 

My friend Brandon caught up to me and we chatted for a while. I was happy to have some company for a bit as a few more miles passed by. His positivity lifted me for a moment until he blasted off like a rocket ahead of me on the trail.

Eventually we made it to Mayqueen at mile 12.5 and I refilled some bottles. I tried to both get a grip mentally and reason with the pain that was now building in my right ankle and legs. It only took me a couple of hours to get to Mayqueen, but my body felt like I was already at mile 50 of a race.

I shot Julie a text:


The next section of the race was 11 miles and took us over the Sugarloaf climb and down the notoriously steep Powelines descent. Fortunately, my climbing legs were now working okay at slower speeds. The flats and downhills though were killing me though. The ankle pain was starting to migrate up my right leg.

I made the climb and suffered through the steep downhill, already wondering where I would drop out of the race and how I would break the news to my crew and family.

Hitting Outward Bound at mile 23.5 I explained the pain to Julie. She told me that we knew that the cumulative load would add up and that the pain should be expected. 

Micah told me to ‘pretend it was a long training day’ as they pushed me out of the aid station on the way to Twin Lakes. My friend Jared was also there telling me that I was a bad ass and to get out of my head.

The next 16 miles were spent fading in and out of the pain cave. I moved like a zombie through the forest, running when I could and hiking when I couldn’t. Through this section, I just chipped away at the miles, and it felt slow, but typical in ultrarunning. I chatted with some people to pass the time and it felt nice to not think a bit. My friend Samantha who was also doing the Lead Challenge offered some strong words of encouragement to me as she passed, letting me know that the pain was normal and that the first time she did the Lead Challenge she struggled the first half too.

There were also some cat and mouse games through this section. There was a guy that seemed to keep burning matches only to slow way down as he ran out of steam. It was super funny as I just moved at a steady clip the whole time. I’d pass him and he would practically sprint back around me. It sounds bad, but I just toyed with him to keep my mind going.

After what felt like forever, I slowly made my way down the steep hill towards Twin Lakes. The quad and ankle pain was just getting worse as I went. Coming around a corner I saw my friends Becki and Jeff who encouraged me to try and stay positive and just keep moving. I crested a small hill and Micah was there to guide me down to the crowded town of Twin Lakes.

Micah walking me to my crew at Twin Lakes

Twin Lakes was as crowded as ever. People cheered for me and tried to hug me as I just tried to make my way to Julie and my crew. It was all a huge shock and contrast to how I was feeling inside. After 2016, I made the conscious decision never to be aggravated or mean to people that are trying to help me. Those emotions were replaced with ignoring the compliments and tuning out the noise.

Micah directed me to a chair where I sat in a heap of emotion. Seth, Lauren, Chris, Hillary, Micah, my run team and others watched as I sat in the chair, put my head down and just started crying. Tears of frustration, pain, mental suffering, disappointment, and doubt rolled down my cheeks.

Hammered and done

“I can’t do this.” I cried. “I hurt like I’m at mile 80. I can’t fathom going over that mountain twice” I said looking up at the massive mountain to the South.

While my crew tried to assess what they could do to help me, I was at a loss on how to direct them. My right leg hurt from bottom to top and I was super tired. The only good news is that nutrition was spot on so I was hydrating well and eating.

I don’t know why I got up out of the chair, but I think it was to just head out of the craziness and crowds of people. I knew that if I could make it over hope, I could drop at Winfield without anyone telling me no. I would have 3-4 hours to think about that decision.

So I left as Hillary walked with me for a while offering words of encouragement. My friend Jared came over and told me to believe in myself and get it done.

Jared encouraging me to keep going.

I worked my way across the valley floor. The water crossings were minimal this year and the creek was only about knee high. Before I knew it, I was at the base of the 3,500 foot climb that would take me over Hope Pass.

Despite my broken state, I fell into a familiar groove and started climbing up my favorite mountain in Colorado. I know every crook and cranny of this trail and with some music going in my headphones I embraced my old friend.

Steps turned into miles as I passed waterfalls, river pools and meadows. I brought my mind back to what a gift it was being out here. I was hurting, but I had also decided that my suffering would be over in a few miles.

“Only 8 miles to Winfield” I said out loud. "And then I can finally drop"

I didn’t stop moving and I made it to the Hopeless Aid station where I got some Ramen and texted Julie to let her know that I would be done at Winfield.


The responses came back instantly.

I must be honest. At this point in the race, there wasn’t much anyone could say to me to change my mind. I was just happy that the day would be done soon. I felt bad for my pacers and crew that were hopeful to have a chance to pace me and see me finish, but they were also not in the mental and physical place I was.

“No one has a clue” I thought, ignoring Julie’s texts.

As I crested the summit of Hope feeling bad for myself, my thoughts quickly turned to panic as the air temperature dropped 20 degrees and a sleet, rain and snow storm hit us. We were being crushed by rain and hard ice balls and all the runners struggled to pull out their jackets for cover. I helped a runner that was quickly going hypothermic and couldn’t unzip his jacket to get it on. All our fingers were frozen, and we were trying to get down below tree line as fast as possible.

The rain and sleet continued for the next 40 minutes as we got down the steep part of the mountain and turned onto the Colorado trail towards Winfield.

I don’t know if this external stimulus snapped me out of my mood, but I started to feel better overall. I was moving slow but steady across the valley. I had some good conversations with other athletes on this section and before I knew it, the rain had stopped and I had about a mile left to Winfield.

I started thinking about my friends and family that supported me all summer.

My wife and son that gave up weekends and time so I could train. Hillary, my coach and one of my best friends that gave up this weekend and the last one to crew and pace me at the MTB. Seth and Lauren who flew out from Mammoth to crew and pace me.

Could I honestly let these people down because I was tired and hurting? I was WAY ahead of cutoffs.

I made up my mind on the road down to Winfield that I would keep going after getting some food and resting for a bit. I would not let them down.

I rolled into Winfield in much better spirts and sat in a chair for a while as a volunteer refilled my hydration and got me some food. I shot Julie a text from my Garmin InReach to let her know I would continue on.

“I LOVE YOU!! See you in twin Lakes!” was her reply.

I rested up in Winfield for about 25 minutes and got up to make my way back to Twin Lakes.

The journey back up Hope was uneventful. I was in a better frame of mind, although I was moving slower. The storm had passed and the wind was still. It was a beautiful journey back up the mountain. I was relying a bit more on my poles to carry my painful gate but I was climbing pretty well.

I crested the summit and stopped for a quick photo of my favorite place on earth. I love the summit of Hope Pass and the views up there are what inspired me to tackle the race itself. Time seems to stand still up there.

The Summit of Hope Pass

Descending towards Twin Lakes, I gingerly hobbled down the rocks. I stopped briefly at Hopeless Aid Station where some friends were crewing and ate some more Ramen and drank some Coke.

It took what felt like forever to get back to Twin Lakes. My right leg was shot, and it was a lot of pain to get down the steeper sections. I continued moving, however, until I eventually saw Micah standing in the field outside Twin. He ‘ran’ with me into town and directed me to the same chair I had shed my tears in 8 hours earlier.

I’m going to finish this thing” I told everyone as I was greeted with hugs and smiles.

Julie helping me get ready to leave Twin Lakes

I took my time here and changed my clothes to tackle the nighttime. Rain was around the corner, and I knew I’d need some warmer clothes. After some more Ramen and water, Seth and I headed out to make the 38-mile trek home to Leadville. It was 7:30 PM and dusk was setting in.

Seth and I leaving Twin Lakes

Seth and I fell into a rhythm like the old friends that we are. Even in my hazy mind, he almost seemed nervous for the adventure until we were in solid motion. We climbed the steep hill out of Twin before we hit the trail and it started to rain. We continued on for a way and then pulled out our headlamps in the pitch black rainy night.

All we could see was the insane bright illumination of rain in front of our headlamps as we moved forward through the forest. I had a raincoat on to keep my body warm in the wet night air. I was starting to unconsciously take the load off my right hip and lean to the right as I tried to keep the hip pain from getting the best of me. I could tell I was favoring my right trekking pole for balance, but I also knew that that leg was shot from the day.


Stopping at Halfmoon aid, we warmed up in the tent and got some hot food. I changed out of some gear and took my shirt off while the woman working the hot chocolate station looked at me. I apologized for the change, and she creepily smiled at me and said “oh no… please keep changing! I am perfectly happy right now.”

Yikes. LOL.

Seth and I continued. My run pace was slowing considerably as my hips and quads were literally done performing. We power hiked as fast as we could and made the Outward Bound aid station around 11:30 PM. It was hard to believe that in 2019 I had arrived at this aid station about 3.5 hours earlier. Nevertheless, I ate some more Ramen, some mashed potatoes, drank some coffee and we headed back out into the night.

Seth, Micah and I at Outward Bound (Mile 78)

The next section was a blur to me in a lot of ways. I barely remember the asphalt section on the way to the Powerlines climb. While I felt like I was climbing okay, I could tell that I was still favoring that right trekking pole to stay steady. I remember talking about everything with Seth from relationships, to hip hop, vinyl and religion. That’s the thing about your close friends. You can go years without seeing each other, but it’s like you never miss a beat. That’s how it is with Seth. We never struggle to find things to chat about and there is a ton of mutual respect.

The Powerlines Climb

Space Camp is the ‘secret aid station” at the top of Powerlines. I’m not really sure what the issue was up there this year, but they really need to up their game because it was pretty lame there besides a few handles of alcohol on the table. Space Camp people, if you ever read this, please up your game for next year or don't party so hard earlier in the night.

We gingerly made our way down Sugarloaf and eventually onto my least favorite section of the return trip on the Colorado Trail. This 2.5 mile section is super rocky and steep in parts. If you are not already destroyed from the previous 85 miles, this section is here to make sure you are officially toast.

Somehow after thinking I was lost 5 times (which happens here every year) we popped out on the road heading to Mayqueen.

Arriving at Mayqueen, Seth and I couldn’t find Julie, Hillary or our crew so I sat in the aid station to get some Ramen and rest. Seth called the crew and they said they got stuck waiting for an emergency vehicle and would be there in a few minutes. I didn’t care about the time, so I ate some food and worked on getting some rest for my sore hips. It was about 3:30 AM.

Seth, Hillary, Micah and I at Mayqueen

Julie, Micah, Lauren and Hillary eventually got there and I said goodbye to Seth. Hillary and I were setting out for the last 12.5 miles.

Unfortunately, my hips and legs were so cooked, I couldn’t run or shuffle so I knew we would have to walk it in. In my blasted state, I couldn’t do math and kept asking Hillary if we’d make the 30-hour cut. It felt like I was moving at a snails pace. She assured me that we would be just fine and told me to stop looking at my watch.

Hillary was such a great pacer through this section. I don’t remember much of the journey other than what felt like 100 people passing me and me not being able to respond. Hillary just encouraged me and kept me eating and drinking.

What seemed like an eternity later, we made it around Turquoise lake. The sun was starting to come out, which was something I’ve never experienced on the race before. It was beautiful as the mountains around us lit up in a blaze of sunlight.


Sunrise

Literally limping along, we made it to the Boulevard where we had about 5K left. My 8:00 mile pace about 27 hours earlier had slowed to about 19:00/mile.

One step at a time….

At the top of the Boulevard, I started seeing friends and others to cheer us on the last mile. While I didn’t perceive it, my right-side lean had become so pronounced, people started saying things about it. I became super self-conscious as I was unable to straighten my torso without my right hip screaming in pain. I was leaned over my right trekking pole as I made my way towards the finish. People must have thought I was an 80-year-old crippled man or just had a stroke. I was super embarrassed by it, but my close friends and crew in good form didn’t even say a word about it. In fact, those closest to me kept saying, "You're a bad ass Tim and a Leadman!"


Hiking it in with Julie, Micah and Hillary

Julie and Micah joined Hillary and I as we walked the last ½ mile towards the finish.

I started to tear up, but I had a ton of friends come over and start hugging me about 50 yards before the finish line. I high fived and hugged Jeff, Becki, Brandon, Kaitlyn and others as I smiled in joy that my day of suffering was finally over. In a morbid way, I wonder if this is what heaven is like?

Congratulation high fives at the finish

The announcer, having announced my name just before all the hugs came back and said something to the effect of “well Tim, are you going to finish or what?!”

Woops.

Guess I'd better finish!


I hobbled across the finish in full right lean and hugged Ken and Merilee as they gave me my 100-mile medal and handed me my third silver buckle. Cole recognized me and cheered and came to hug me. Leadville is family and I love them all!

Ken, Cole and Merilee (I love Cole's reaction!!)

I got it done in 27:50:42! I was a Leadman!

After finishing I sat in a chair and cried for what felt like an eternity. All the pain, all the emotion, all the suffering and pure grit. I did what I thought would be impossible.

Hugging Micah

In the end, this was one heck of a summer. I owe this finish to my crew, my friends and my amazing wife. Without their support and encouragement I would NEVER have made it. It was all of you that made me keep going and creating a different story than what I would have lived without you. I'm humbled beyond belief for Julie, Hillary, Micah, Seth, Lauren, Jared, Chris, Samantha, Brian, Jeff, Becki, Kaitlyn, Brandon, Cole, Phil and so many more for speaking life into me when I was dead. If I could give you all your own medal I would. You were my 'why' when I had no more to give. I truly love you all.

I am a Leadman!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge