Skip to main content

2021 Desert Rats Stage Race- Stage Five: Bring it Home (Chapter 7 of 7)

The crew at the start

I woke up and my legs felt amazing! Staying off of them and the CBD seemed to do the trick because I was barely sore and felt super fresh for the day.  I knew it wouldn’t be an easy day as we would be climbing 2,000 feet right from the start over the first 5 miles.

Just like in Stage 4, right from the start, Morgan took off. The first 6 miles involved a 2,000 foot climb up a 5-7% grade paved road. I trailed behind Morgan for several miles and let him have some space, but I pushed to keep up with his pace. I was gassed a few times but was able to fall back into stride. Around mile 4 there were some switchbacks and they reminded me of Lookout Mountain back in Golden which I had done all winter in training.

“You’re at home Tim! GO!!”

I picked up the pace and went past Morgan. He was right on my heels as we made the first turn.

I pushed a little harder. He faded back a hair.

Rounding the next turn I was out of sight for a little and I sprinted hard and then fell back into rhythm. He was a little further back.

I continued this effort. 30 seconds hard, 2 minutes easy all the way to the top.

I flew into and out of the first aid station and was relieved to see the massive dirt descent begin. I pushed hard. Looking down I saw that I was running 7-7:30 pace down the hill. I felt awesome and was eating well. I passed most of the field that had started an hour before us by mile 10 or so and kept pushing.

Feeling great!

I clocked off the miles knowing that I was accomplishing something amazing.

Home stretch!

There is a steep out and back climb at mile 16 that is 4 miles long. I realized hiking up that this was one of the first times I had walked all day. I passed the final two people from wave one right at the turn and went full gas back down. I passed Morgan on the way down and looked at my watch. I was a mile ahead of him. With 6 miles to go, I had a great chance of winning the final stage.

I left the final aid station and started to run the final six miles into Moab. It was an interesting experience re-entering civilization. ATV’s were plentiful and buzzing by us on the dirt road. Around a mile and a half to the finish, there was a Jeep club lining the road. People in their jeeps started honking and cheering for me! I cheered back as I knew the day was mine!

I turned left on the asphalt road and I could see the finish where Julie and Micah would be waiting. The emotion was indescribable. Elation, joy, tears, excitement, relief all rolled into one as I turned right towards the finish line with both arms in the air.

Best moment ever!

I FREAKING DID IT!!! I WON THE 2021 DESERT RATS STAGE RACE!!!

Crossing the finish in a shower of champagne, I fell into Julie and Micah’s arms with tears gushing out of my eyes. I couldn’t believe it. What a week.

My family


We are all Desert Rats!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge