Skip to main content

2021 Desert Rats Stage Race- Stage Four: The power of belief (Chapter 5 of 7)


I slept a little better last night, but still not great. I was super nervous about the Stage on this day. 8,000 feet of climbing, 43 miles. The first 37 miles were all mostly uphill. Morgan had been talking about this stage all week and I knew that this is where he was hoping to make his move and try and buy back time. I knew full well that 30 minutes could easily be overcome on a day like today.

My plan going into the day was to play defense. Say on Morgan and not let him get any time back. If he ran, I would run. If he walked, I would walk. I had to remind myself that vertical was my strength. The steeper and longer the climbs, historically, the better I did in races. I was still nervous for the day though.

We were graced with some cooler temperatures on this stage. In the high 80’s and overcast, it was a welcome reprieve from the stage 2 days prior.

My group started an hour after the first wave, and like expected, Morgan didn’t waste anytime getting to work. He was running uphills that were outside the comfort zone, but I had it in me to stay on him. He was running STRONG! I tried to make some small talk between breaths, but it was awkward as we both knew that this was the day that mattered most.

The Start

The scenery on this stage was amazing. So amazing in-fact that I looked up to admire the views and instantly tripped on a rock and took a slow-motion tumble down the slope. Morgan stopped to ask me if I was okay, and I shook it off and kept going. My knuckles and knee were bloody, but nothing seemed broken. 

Trying to make conversation with Morgan

We were together at the 18-mile aid station where we stopped and rammed some food in our mouths and then continued on.

The 18 mile aid station

We were running head-on into a major thunderstorm and the lightening had us a little nervous. Despite it all, we pushed on. The skies opened into a torrential downpour for 10 minutes or so while we slogged up the next climb. Fortunately, there wasn’t any lightening around us.

Running into a storm

The next 5-6 miles were just work. Morgan and I were still together although it felt like a switch flipped and I was starting to be the one pushing pace. I would initiate the jogs uphill and he would follow. I was starting to wonder if I’d be able to push ahead at some point. I decided to play my head game card…

“Morgan, I’m sorry I’m so annoying today! I really want to win this thing and I have had to play defense to keep my place secure.”

Silence was in the air after that comment. 

Around mile 23 or so, we hit some uphill switchbacks at a modest grade. I pushed pace…. Morgan didn’t follow. As soon as I rounded the first switchback, out of sight of Morgan, I ran hard for 200 yards and then power hiked again. As soon as I was out of sight again around the next switchback, I did it again.

This continued until I no longer had sight of Morgan.

I decided at this point that I wasn’t going to let him catch me, and I really went to work. I was eating a ton and still staying hydrated as I jogged every uphill I could. I hit the 35-mile aid station and filled up with some hydration and ate some watermelon and skittles before continuing on.

Back-to-work….

My confidence was building, and I was running up the mountain now.

“How is this happening?!!” I yelled out loud. So impressed that I had it in me to lead yet another stage.

I quickly stopped at the final aid station and then hammered up the remining 2.5 miles of the climb. Cresting the top I yelled.

“Woo hoo!!! I can do this! I’m going to win this race!”

About 500 meters later, I passed a car of tourists taking pictures of the view.

“Are you okay?” they asked “We heard you yelling”

“I didn’t know anyone was here!” I laughed. “I was just excited about the views”

I was on the way back down the mountain towards the finish when I called Julie with tears in my eyes and left a voice mail.

“I can’t believe it babe. I’m going to do this. I didn’t believe in myself, but I’m going to do this!”

I soared down the road towards the finish super emotional.  I kept thinking how much other people believed in me. My coach, friends, other runners all told me how strong I was but for whatever reason, I doubted in my own ability. Cresting the top of the climb I realized that I needed to believe in myself. The doubts I had were sabotaging my potential as an athlete.

As I rounded the corner towards the finish, there were only a few people I could see there. It was like no one was ready for the finishers! I crossed the finish line and Matt, one of the volunteers came over to congratulate me. I was still teared up and so excited when I looked over my shoulder. Standing there was my best friend Josh whom I hadn’t seen in over a year and lives in Los Angeles.

Was I hallucinating?  Josh and his wife in the middle of the desert? I was in shock, and it made me tear up even more.

“What are you doing out here?!”

My boy Josh

“Chris set it all up. Julie knew as well. We were driving out to Colorado and decided to come see you.”

I was in shock.

Josh is editing the documentary that is being shot this week and had not yet met Chris in person. Chris organized the entire thing and surprised me in the process.

I’ve never had a surprise birthday party or anything, so this was truly a shock. One of the coolest things ever.

Scenery from the course

While I waited for the rest of the finishers, I grabbed some food and water and got out of my smelly clothes. Morgan finished about 25 minutes later and we cheered on the rest of the crew as they finished.

After dinner that night I went to the tent to sleep. I was out before my head hit the pillow and apparently, I was the one snoring all night. I finally slept like a baby.

Ready for bed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge