Skip to main content

2021 Desert Rats Stage Race- Stage Two: Stronger Together (Chapter 3 of 7)

Getting ready for the day

The sun rose and the camp began to stir with activity. Breakfast was at 6:30 and the first wave of athletes would head out around 8:00 AM. My wave would be 30 minutes behind the first wave. I had a lot of time to think throughout the night as one of my tent mates sawed logs and my earplugs only muffled part of the sound. My plan for the day was to go SLOW. Move steady, hydrate and eat. I would let go of any desire to keep my leader status and just let the race unfold in a way that kept me healthy.




Stage two was close to 40 miles and completely exposed. There was nowhere to get relief from the hot sun so I knew that it was critical to stick to my plan. I was dressed in a long sleeve white shirt, shorts and my white hat in an effort to keep my skin cool.

Stage 2 Start

The stage started off mellow. The leaders were pretty much together although the Morgan (the second-place guy) ran up the trail a little ways. I was with a guy from Florida named Mike. Mike had significant stage racing experience and it was awesome sharing the miles with him.

We came into the first aid station and there were several people there refilling water. Morgan, who had run up the trail a ways was there as well, refueling. I looked down and even though we were only an hour into the race, I had drank over a liter of fluid. I felt amazing, so the extra fluid was working. I refilled both bottles, ate some watermelon, and surprisingly Mike and I got out of the aid station faster than Morgan.

Mike and I appeared to be in front of the race despite taking things easier than the day before. The heat was already soaring and sweat was soaking my clothing. I kept drinking a ton and refilled yet again about an hour later.

Mika and I sharing miles

Leaving the 13-mile aid station, I headed off the front for a bit as I jogged downhill. The little voice inside my head told me to throttle back a bit so I slowed my pace just enough to feel comfortable. I hit the 18-mile aid station and sat in a chair to eat and get some refills on fluid. The PB&J rollup I made the night before tasted wonderful and I ate the whole 1500 calorie meal in about 5 minutes. Mike arrived shortly after I did and ate a bit while we sat and joked about the heat.

It was a night and day difference for me in terms of how I felt from this time yesterday. I was shocked at how great I felt, and it was all the result of the added sodium and fluid. I was taking in over a liter per hour and 800mg of sodium.

Morgan arrived at the aid station just as Mike and I were finishing up our stop, so Mike and I headed off into the desert.

The next 15 miles were an experiment in forward momentum and hydration. The temperature was now 112 degrees and even hotter on the road. Mike and I were walking every incline and jogging when we could. Mike told me several times to go ahead if I wanted, but I was happy with the company and thought we would be stronger together than apart. Around mile 34, Mike told me how cool it was to be leading the stage for the day. He then told me he had never won a race overall. I got super excited when he said that and responded with “today is your day buddy! Let’s get you that win!”

My race shifted at that point. I went from being a racer to a pacer, completely focused on helping Mike win a stage. It was a wonderful shift for me. I no longer thought about my own suffering, but I focused on helping my friend overcome his suffering.

Mike and I worked as a team the last 5 miles. I was forcing calories into him as he began to cramp up. It was a slow run into the finish as we battled through the heat and cramping Mike had. We didn’t see anyone behind us though, so we moved as quickly as we could.

Getting it done

Rounding the corner to the finish, I let up as Mike ran ahead to take the stage. It was his first race win ever, and I couldn’t have been happier for him!

Morgan came into the finish sprinting about 10 minutes after us. He said he just wanted to stage to be over. I’m sure though, that it was to keep the leader’s bib in his sights. A 20-minute delta was still possible to overcome with three remaining stages.

We celebrated everyone as they finished that day. The carnage in the field was significant as 11 people (1/3 of the field) DNF’d the day. The heat got the best of just about everyone. The good news is that there were no more IV’s or hospital rides and everyone made it back to camp safely.

Some looking for shade wherever possible

This day, I was chaffed in some bad places so I new I’d have to wear an extra base layer under my running shorts from then on out. I also had some heat rash on my feet. Mike had some anti-inflammatory powder that he gave me and within an hour or so the rash went way down.


Heat rash on my feet

Calling it a day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge