Skip to main content

2021 Desert Rats Stage Race- Stage Three: Jort Power (Chapter 4 of 7)



Day 3

Another restless night’s sleep in the tent, but I was able to drag myself sheepishly out of bed around 5:45AM. Today’s stage was the shortest of all of them at 9 miles, and I was looking forward to a shorter run and a day of relaxation.

Since it was the sprint day, I threw on my running ‘jorts’. Not sure if they help me go fast, but they definitely make me poke pun at myself and lighten the mood. I grabbed some light breakfast and coffee and made sure my running gear was packed up for the stage.

I didn’t really have a plan for the stage, other than continue to keep tabs on Morgan who was only about 20 minutes down in the overall. I did have a thought that if the trail looked runnable that I would hammer it out after the first mile or two.

Morgan and I 

The start

We all started together on this stage. The first mile was a gradual climb back up the road we finished yesterdays stage on. The pack of runners was tight up the hill. The leaders were all together and the mood was light. We slowly ran up the hill and then made the left turn onto the Kokopelli single track.

I saw a hill in the distance and was running smoothly. I decided to lead the group out onto the trail since I was feeling good. About ½ mile later the group was spreading out and I made the decision to run at tempo pace. I surged hard for a couple of minutes and dropped the field behind me. I was still feeling good after the initial push so I powered up the hill to get out of sight of the pack.

I was running 7:30-8:30 pace and feeling great. The trail meanders down to the Colorado River and into this cool section of trees and greenery. The trail was rolling and not too technical, allowing me to keep pushing pace.

A quick look over my shoulder and I couldn’t see anyone in the distance. I was way in front and feeling awesome.

The final mile was a bit of a blur. I crested a hill and could see the finishing tent in the distance. I descended the road at 6:30 pace to win the stage in 1:19:00.

Still in first!

Morgan and Mike were the next to finish and were close to 10 Minutes behind me for the day. I felt good that I had a little more of a buffer for the overall lead going into the Expedition Stage the next day.

Mike and I

I had cell reception at the finish and called Julie to say hello. It was AWESOME to hear her voice! I was really starting to miss home and my family. I also called Hillary and told her coaching was paying off. As always, she was super humble and told me that it was my work that was making the difference and to keep it up.

We cheered on all the finishers as they crossed the line and then shuttled over to our camp.

Cheering in the finishers

Having some extra time this day to drink, recover and dunk in the river was awesome. I took a nap in the afternoon and rubbed a ton of CBD into my sore muscles. I ate and drank a ton and thought nervously about the next day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge