Skip to main content

Cheyenne Mountain 50K and 4-year-old sprints

The sense of nervousness I normally feel prior to races wasn’t there as I looked up at the expansive Cheyenne Mountain in front of me. The sun had risen about an hour ago and there was a slight chill in the air, but I knew it would warm up soon. This was my third time racing at Cheyenne Mountain State Park, so I knew what to expect in terms of the trails there. It was the home of my official first trail marathon finish a couple of years ago.

Race Start Line
Racing here is like a flash back in time to the simpler days of trail races. While Leadville and the North Face 50K were huge events with multiple sponsors, big tents and food, the Cheyenne Mountain Trail Race featured a folding table check-in, great volunteers and a 50K field of less than 100 athletes.

I got there early to have some coffee and take my time getting my gear together. I’m sort of a spaz before races and it seems like it takes me forever just to throw on some shoes and my hydration pack.
I headed over to the start line about 5 minutes before 8AM, said hello to a few other runners and took my place in the front third of the group. I had raced here before and didn’t want to get caught up in the back of the pack over the first climb. The first climb was about a mile of single-track and last year I was caught behind the pack walking for a ways.

Just before the start in my fly Pearl Izumi gear

The national anthem played over the loud speaker and the gentleman in front asked “are you all ready to run?” A couple of hollers went out and he simply said “Go!” and we were off.

The race course was a big figure ‘8’ consisting of a 7 and an 8ish mile loop that we would complete twice. Basecamp and bag drop was in the middle making it easy to mentally divide the course into four big loops. (Link to my Strava profile.)

I let the leaders go up the road and locked in at about a 10:30 pace for the first climb. It was a little faster than I would have liked, but I was just pacing behind a girl that was moving steady up the trail, so I didn’t back off the gas too much. Looking back on it , I think this was a mistake, as I started off in the red for the first ½ hour of the race, and I never really got back where I wanted to be. I remember thinking to myself in the first 15 minutes to slow down a bit.

The girl in front of me started to fizzle out around mile 3 so I passed her and I locked into a manageable pace. My heartrate was still in Zone 4 but I didn’t slow enough to recover. My training pace on longer runs had me in the 145-155 heartrate range, but I was pushing out 165ish on this race early on. Not good.

The trail is beautiful. It winds around trees and streams and you could never really tell where you were in the group. One second you would see a stream of runners in front of you up the trail, and then you would go around a turn and feel totally alone.

The course gradually climbs about 1,000 feet for three or so miles before dropping into some flat terrain and then descending back into the valley. That descent was super fun as my legs finally had the chance to open up and my breathing settled down a bit. I was still cruising a little fast, but by now, I had resolved myself into racing with the goal of not killing myself.

I hit the bottom aid station at mile 7 and I was finally feeling great. I was ready for the next section of the course.

The next loop is a killer. Another 1,000 vertical feet over some steeper terrain lets the body know it’s time to work. For this section I dialed it back and hiked when I needed to. It still didn’t feel too hard, but I could start to feel the lactic acid in my legs. I was hydrating well so I was hoping nutrition would not be an issue later.

After some quick uphill hiking and slow jogging, I made it to the top of the ridge. I was thankful to have made it up quickly. I was still holding a 10:30 average pace for the race, but I also knew I would have to do this section all over again!

I blazed down the mountain towards the ½ way point. For me, the downhill running can be more difficult than the uphill on my legs. My quads were screaming as I flew down the mountain. I saw a bunch of runners that were just starting the climb, so I knew I was holding a solid place in the field.

I approached the ½ way point still feeling strong, but I was starting to get winded. I took my hydration pack off, took out my empty hydration bladder and grabbed my new one from the bag drop. I never stopped moving. Changing out my hydration on the go, I started loop two.

This is where the race begins.

The initial climb which seemed so easy at the start of the race was now almost as steep as Everest. I held a grandma paced jog up the climb trying to manage my heartrate the best I could. If I went too far into the red, I hiked for a minute or so, and then started to jog again. The rest of the race would go like this.

What seemed like 5 hours later, I came back to the base camp to head out to the last loop.

I knew the last 8 miles were going to be challenging, so I resolved myself to relentless forward progress to get through it. The first 4 miles would be a steady hard climb to the summit and that was goal number one.

At this point I was hiking anything that resembled a hill. On the flats, I picked up my grandma jog and then went straight back into hiking when the trail picked up over 4% grade. I was still good on nutrition, but my legs were spent. Relentless-forward-progress. My average pace for the race was now down to 11:15, but at this point it was just about finishing. If all went well, I would still run a sub-six hour race which would be a 35 minute PR on my 50K race.

I finally made it to the top of the climb and started the downhill. My quads were spent, so I had to jog a slower pace down. I got passed by three runners on the run down, but I didn’t have enough in me to push any faster. Cardio-wise I was still okay, but my legs were all used up.

After another ½ hour, I could finally see the finish line at the bottom of the valley. I was super stoked as I knew my family would be down there to cheer me through.

Amazing aid station volunteers!
I came to the base of the valley and saw Julie and my son Micah about 200 yards before the finish line. Micah was in running pose ready to run with me to the finish! “Let’s go daddy!” he said, and then he took off like a lightening bolt towards the finish line.

It was all I could do to keep up with his 4-year-old legs. He sprinted ahead of me right through the finish line! It was one of the coolest moments as it was the first time my son has been at a race and been able to run with me into finish.
Micah out-sprinting me to the finish

My parents and Julie were there to congratulate me at the finish line. I had run the race in 5:35 which was good enough for 22nd overall and 4th in my age group. I beat my previous 50K times by over an hour!

Next Up: Hard Rock 25

Lessons Learned:

  • I still need to work on going out slower at the start. I get caught up in the mania, but sticking to my HR and pacing plan is critical to doing better towards the end of the race. With ultra-racing, if I’m not going for the podium, going out fast is not a benefit.
  • I can continue to work on my downhill running. My quads were thrashed at the end of the race and I think some more work on the downhills could have helped.
  • Setting small goals during the race really helped my mental state. If it was too much to think about a full-loop, spotting trees and other marks along the course helped me from getting discouraged.


Nutrition
Prior:
1 Cup of Coffee
2 Cliff Bars (500 Calories)

During:
100 oz of Infinit (2000 Calories)
2 Cliff Bars (500 Calories)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge