Skip to main content

Lessons in Calcaneus Eversion

In solid Tim fashion, I pushed my last 50K a little hard, and my right hamstring started giving me issues the following week. Despite all my stretching, the soreness was a little much to run hard so I dialed down the intensity a bit. The weather helped me out a bit the next weekend, with a solid late spring snowstorm, forcing me to run some different terrain and give my hammy a break.

Sunrise over Arvada Reservoir on a morning run

It still blows my mind that I am running a marathon and a half-marathon distance run every weekend. My brain is finally to the place where the thought of 25-26 miles is not a huge deal.

April "Showers" run with Chris on Magnolia Road in Boulder
I met with Junko, my pseudo mentor, this past week and talked through some more Leadville race strategy. Nutrition, training, how to stay awake all-night, and lessons learned topped the list. She did say something that got to me though. She asked how far I run before I start feeling fatigued and pain set in. I answered 18-20 miles. She looked at me, and said, “That’s great progress. For Leadville, you need to get to the place where 50 miles feels somewhat easy”. What the? I can’t even fathom that right now.
Apex Trail run scenery
Working on figuring out my hamstring issues, Julie and I headed to her friend’s office where they have an Optigate machine. I have to admit, I’ve never liked Chiropractors. I feel like most of them pop your back just to tell you to come back and spend more money without ever addressing the root of the issue or cause of your pain. Courtney Conley from Total HealthSolutions was different. Running me through a functional analysis, her and Julie (Elevation Physical Therapy) examined me like I was a new science experiment.

I hopped on the Optigate machine and started running. This machine is one of the coolest pieces of equipment I’ve seen. It’s a high-tech treadmill that has full video and gate analysis built in. It gives you live feedback on biomechanics, left/right foot strike balance, flight time, cadence, etc. After taking a baseline, it was easy to spot the issue.

My right calcaneus (heel) was not everting causing my foot to slam down on my front metatarsal. The hamstring is working overtime to slow down my foot strike since my foot isn’t doing its job. Okay, I have no idea if I’m saying that right, but we will be working on getting that heel to evert, start digging into that hamstring and get the inflammation out and get more mobility in my hips. With a combo of PT, chiropractic and massage, I should be able to get it figured out. The goal is to get to the startline healthy and apparently be able to run the first 50 miles without working hard!

I ran long last weekend and paced a little differently, power hiking all the climbs at 16-20 minute mile pace and running the rest. Over 25 miles with 5,500 feet of vert, I held a 12:20 average and felt like I could have ran further at the end of my run. Yee haw!
Getting after it on last weekend's run.

Next up is the Quad Rock 25 in Fort Collins. I plan on starting in the back of the pack and going easy the first ½ of the race. The goal is to come out of that race healthy and ready to run my 15 the next day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Lost in the Never Summer Mountains

Standing in the early twilight hours of the sunrise at the Gould Community Center I was thankful that I could join the other 285 runners at the starting line. My heart issues a few weeks prior cost me some valuable training time and had me wondering if I’d be able to race. Once I got the green light from the cardiologist to run, I had five solid weekends to get some vert in and a small taper before the Never Summer 100K . It would have to be enough. Never Summer 100K is a 65-mile race in State Forest State Park in Northern Colorado. The course takes you through the Never Summer Mountains and skirts the southern edge of the Medicine Bow Mountain Range. The race has over 13,000 feet of vertical gain and most of it takes place over 10,000 feet above sea level. Simply put, this was one of the hardest 100K races in the country. Elevation Profile of Never Summer 100K I was fortunate to be racing with several other athletes I knew well including my good friend and legendary ultrarun

Quad Rock 25

For some reason every time I know I have to wake up early the next day, I can’t sleep. I set my alarm the night before for 4:45 AM and went to bed around 10. I woke up just about every hour on the nose and looked at the clock. By the time 4:15AM rolled around, I just laid in bed and waited for my iPhone to tell me it was time to get up. Buzz….It was time to get up. My pre-race plan I rolled out of bed virtually exhausted and put on my battle armor for the day -- shorts, socks, compression, t-shirt, jacket, and my signature trucker hat. I had loaded up my car the night before with all my gear and nutrition so I was good to go. I kissed Julie on the forehead, she wished me luck as I left to go grab some coffee, pick up Chris and carpool to the race. We made it up to Horsetooth about an hour before the race start. Since we carpooled, we were able to park about 100 feet from the start line. This was clutch because outside it was 37 degrees, raining and windy. View close

Quad Rock 50 and the Highway to Hell

I was standing in the midday sun staring into my car. Sweat was dripping down my face and my eyes were heavy when a little devil popped up on my shoulder. “Just stop Tim. You are tired, beat up and it’s hotter than hell out here. Just get a 25 mile finisher time and take a nap in the shade. This was not an “A” race for you anyway” ------------- Rewinding the clock 5 hours, I was ironically shivering from the cold awaiting sunrise as I stood next to 200 other ultrarunners. The sun was just beginning to light up the sky as the race director made his final announcements about the race. Early morning view The Quad Rock 50 would consist of a clockwise, 25-mile loop followed by a reverse run of the same loop. Each lap has three major climbs and about 5,500 feet of vertical gain per lap for a grand total of 50ish miles and 11,000 feet of elevation gain. “Follow the pink flags,” the race director said. This piece of advice would come in handy later in the day as I slogge